I don't want to but it's for the best

flyingcarpet

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dear All,

This is my very first post although I've been loitering as a guest for some time now. I'm writing for a little advice if I may.

Almost a decade ago my Grandfather died whilst riding his Vincent Comet during the Beamish Rally. He had four vintage bikes and I as the oldest grandson got the pick of the bunch!

The bike has a very special place in my heart and it is ten years since it was last riden. I don't have a garage at my house and am rarely around to do time intestive projects. I'm currently in Afghanistan serving in the Army and can see myself being out here on and off for years!

I don't want to but I think it's best if someone with a high level of expertise brings the Comet back to her full glory. I would hate to start and have to stop half way through a major stage because I have to come back our here again! Once the bike is restored to how she was when my Grandfather had her I will be more than able to keep on top of maintainence, I do like to think my Grandfathers mechanical skills were passed down to me.

Does anyone know of a good restorer who may be able to take the task on. I will be joining the Owners Club shortly and may ask the same in that forum. The bike will need a really good service and a paint job too. I wouldn't mind doing the chrome on it too if I'm getting everything else done too!

I'm really looking forward to fininshing the Rally for my Granddad. Any help is much appreciated.

Matt.

MartinRestorer

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dear flyingcarpet
This work would be a privilege to restore your grandfathers Comet.I have at present two rebuilds in my workshop that will need to move on. They are one Cafe race, Comet engined Norvin, and rebuilt twin engine for the Rapide. I can take on any engine and paint work. Any plateing or stainless replacement parts. can be up to you. If you wish to talk privatly. Email me martinrestorer@msn.com. Martin

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Local restorers

Hi Flyingcarpet,

I would recomend Len Mathews of Calcton, firstly because he is close to you, but also that Len has many many years of experience on the Vincent marque.

Best of luck
Neil

PS

He advertises in the 'Old Bike Mart' as well as other publications

PPS

Len, I hope there's a good commission rate:D

mr.hutch

VOC Member
Hi Flyingcarpet,

I would recomend Len Mathews of Calcton, firstly because he is close to you, but also that Len has many many years of experience on the Vincent marque.

Best of luck
Neil

PS

He advertises in the 'Old Bike Mart' as well as other publications

PPS

Len, I hope there's a good commission rate:D

I couldn't recomend a better place for your bike to be cared for. Len is our section organiser and a grand job he does too.
mr.hutch ;) Suffolk section.

flyingcarpet

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well, I am beside myself with excitement! :)

There was I, with six weeks until I get home thinking it would take ages to find someone close by with an ounce of Vincent know how. Instead it takes only a matter of hours!

Bravo gentlemen!

I shall begin calling around in the near future. Internet out here is becoming easier and easier to get but getting your hands on a phone is never easy.

Thank you again.

Matt.

deejay499

VOC Member
Hi all. That should have been Clacton of course. Len is a good and fair man. Good luck with it.
DJ

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
Hi Matt,
I to would say that Len is the man for the job.

And can I be the first to say that you are doing a good job and to stay safe.

Russ