FF: Forks Hydraulic Steering Dampers

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
We have a under fork damper on the racer but only because its ready available fitted with the JE fork mod otherwise for racing etc we always have done it the simple way
1593437698524.png

or a little neater
1593437793716.png

I was thinking of doing something that with my Bramptons using an extended nut and then I thought: Hang on who has tank slappers with Bramptons?;)

davidd

VOC Member
The NHK ODM500 damper is often referred to as a "Kawasaki" steering damper because of its early appearance on that bike. It has a fixed post.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
We have a under fork damper on the racer but only because its ready available fitted with the JE fork mod otherwise for racing etc we always have done it the simple way
View attachment 35744
or a little neater
View attachment 35745
I was thinking of doing something that with my Bramptons using an extended nut and then I thought: Hang on who has tank slappers with Bramptons?;)
Eddie Stevens tells us of one at Cadwell , MPH 188, Just saw it on this morning on here,
Make sure you have a rubber washer under the damper knob ?, Or the knob works loose ??.
Not to mention that Marcus Video !!, Scary, That Marcus is BRAVE.
Must admit Ron never had trouble with His "A"s, Not even the Twin with my Air suspension on the Front,
And Norton Disc brake !.

Last edited:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
what is a 'kawasaki type steering damper', year , model ?. i;m not familiar with hydraulic steering dampers but have been considering one so am trying to read around the subject to find pro's and cons, mostly with regard fitting and spec' that should be considered.
see OVR #76, June 2020

timetraveller

VOC Member
Here is a picture of all the parts in the kit to fit the modified steering heads. The top item is a 12 mm thick aluminium spacer, the lever arm is 8 mm thick aluminium (both polished). The damper is shorter than the Kawasaki one and has 25 adjuster positions. All nuts, bolts, screws etc are stainless steel.
1593496284574.png

oexing

VOC Member
And once more my idea for the Brampton, possibly not as important on these but a lot more enjoyable on the road I hope than the not so smoothly acting friction damper.

Vic
P1060214.JPG

P1060213.JPG

timetraveller

VOC Member
Finally got a couple of picture if the steering damper fitted to an original steering head on a fully assemble bike. It takes up very little room and requires no brackets on the engine.
1593532877536.png

Above is is from drive side and below is from timing side.
1593532653058.png

vibrac

VOC Member
very unobtrusive here is a close up from the picture of the racer on P54 in this months MPH
1593546435009.png

greg brillus

VOC Member
The only time a steering damper is useful on a bike with Brampton's is where the owner has half a city block hanging off the rear of the bike.........This unloads the front end enough that the links then point downward, and the forks then suffer the same condition as the factory Girdraulics.