FF: Forks Hydraulic Steering Dampers

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No, Greg,
I am not thinking of tank slappers with a Brampton that may be prevented by a hydraulic damper. But yes, heavy loads on rear of bike are critical, girder fork or not ! Fact is, a friction damper is in itself a piece of crap: When done up to have any effect it is no joy on the winding bit of roads as you struggle to keep your lines fighting the sticky characteristics of the friction discs. My point: Hydraulics can be set quite tough and not really noticed on fun roads, only when parking the bike in your garage. They do the job extremely well in FAST motions fed in by dynamic forces from the front wheel - when a moderately set friction device is USELESS. I put a China damper like above last year on the fifties Horex 460 tele bike, no tank slapper candidate at all. Point was, on real rough roads I can go one-handed no problem when before the handlebar went into light judder/vibration from road bumps. It is a real joy now and not a thought about getting out of control when things might feel to go south. At € 30.- from China plus some bracketry no question - just try some .

Vic
old photo, no hydraulics Horex Regina:
IMG00011.JPG