Hydraulic drum brake

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is that the Monjuic park/Thruxton endurance B50 from the early 70's?
What a pity the UK Circuit costs are too high nowadays for classic endurance racing here and the ones abroad are astronomical, typically £1K per meeting.

b'knighted

VOC Member

Howard

VOC Member
That would almost fit without any mods. The problem (apart from the country of origin) is, it looks like a very small diameter cylinder, so I don't think it would increase the braking force much. But hydraulic clutch might work.

H

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
That would almost fit without any mods. The problem (apart from the country of origin) is, it looks like a very small diameter cylinder, so I don't think it would increase the braking force much. But hydraulic clutch might work.

H
At the MCN show Peterboro this weekend, Venhills had the Hydraulic to cable clutch kits on their stand, they did look tidy.

EddyKilowatt

New Forum User
VOC Member
Has anyone converted motorcycle drum brakes from cable to hydraulic?

I'm contemplating modifying the Laverda front brake on my Egli, and I'm trying to work out the pitfalls and advantages before I start.

H

The Brake Handbook by Fred Puhn is a delightful combination of thorough, detailed, and well-written... I would say it is must reading for anyone considering mods to their brake system.

Capture.JPG

The math of brake design is mostly nice straightforward statics and mechanics (no pesky differential equations!) and he works through the details of both drum and disc systems.