Hub questions

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
1) What was the original finish on spoke flanges?. I suspect it was cadmium so that it wouldn't corrode the ally hub, but I have two that look as though they were once painted, although all have been sand-blasted.

2) In the Acme Giant Box of Vincent Hub Parts - hours of harmless (and fruitless?) entertainment guaranteed - are one bare front and two bare rear hubs, and attached to each with binder twine, the outers of the Timken bearings. With each two Timken outers are two spacers, which are lozenge shape in section, and about 60 thou thick. It occurred to me that this might mean that these are metric bearings. The bikes from which they (probably) came are both early 50's. Does anyone know?

Tom

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
They are Timken, numbered 09065, so presumably they are Imperial with a narrow outer track. The outer tracks all have a circumferential groove cut in them, which might mean that they were originally intended for some other purpose.
However, we've had a snowfall "massive" in media terms (nearly 1/4") so work on bikes has been suspended!

Tom

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
We have had at least 2 inches, it is now -4.5deg C according to the thermometer in the car's display .You have obviously a circlip groove in your bearings. The RFM bearings in a Comet of mine are similar.Ken

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Must be the first time in decades that "Killer White death" headlines are actually justified. Spike Milligan claimed that all British tabloid newspapers - in the days of hot-lead printing - kept popular headlines as sets, and that one of them was "Killer White Death Strikes Britain for First Time in 12 Months". Good news doesn't sell. As Peter Cook once observed, no newspaper ever sold as much as a single extra copy with a headline that said "Millions of Britons got through yesterday without any problems, really, considerin'". But we did.

Any pointers to the finish of spoke flanges? Were they cad plated?

Having now got off my lazy ass, waded chest-deep through an inch of snow to the garage, in defiance of police warnings (as though we were all children and THEY were the grown-ups) not to make unnecessary journeys , and consulted KTB, it is now clear that my wheel bearings are Imperial and being numbered 09095, are the narrow version, 9/16" wide not 11 /16". Plausibly, the spacers - in section like a squashed hexagon - are there to make up the difference, although I haven't yet found them in print.

Tom

John Cone

VOC Member
On My Prince all the hub flages along with all the other fitting are chromed, not a bit of cad plate insight! I don't know why, perhaps one of the 3 previous owners had some money to burn. The First or original owner I bumped into severals years ago told me that he had had the Dunlop alloy rims fitted from new by Conways as these were the bees knees, must of been the equivelant(spelling)of the go faster stripes of the day.

shadhubh

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Tom,
Top of page 58 KTB, Allan at the place u took my bearings back to, can supply, if required, both types, give me a bell if you need an account #