HRD@ Isle of Man

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Nice glimpse of a IOM Railway train arriving at Quarter Bridge from the Peel direction; no longer possible-line closed.
I wonder why?, Because Marples and his Side kick Beeeching had no intention of building motorways and making loads of money in the IOM...
Still a lot of good rails remain over there

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Back in the sixties the IOM railway was in dire straits and closed completely for a while. Then a group of IOM businessmen in ca.1967 got together and reopened the entire system. That incuded the Ramsey and Peel lines via St. Johns. It was soon realised this was too ambitious so all that remained was the service to Port Erin which exists today. I had a ride to Peel before closure but to my continuing regret did not take the train to Ramsey. In a reverse of what happened in the UK the IOM Railway was nationalised by the Manx government with beneficial results. There had been rumours about reinstating the Peel line but that would a very expensive undertaking. At least what remains is unique. It still has it's original locomotives and rolling stock and Ramsey is served by the Manx Electric Railway-another unique system.