HRD Camshaft cover drawing

G

Graham Smith

If you're thinking of phoning Tony - too late. It's gone!

I've already acquired it for the Club's Technical Committee.

Graham

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That is good news Graham. :)

I would strongly disagree if that means the drawings, as a piece of HRD history and useful technical information, are lost from view to the world's Vincent Owners.

For my part I have a pair of as-cast cam-boxes and would dearly love to see the drawings so that I can machine them properly for my own A project.

Is this the thin end of the wedge? Are we to assume all Bob Stafford's 'A' drawings and sketches are going to be removed from him and put in the secret vault too? :mad:

Peter Barker
Bristol, UK.

G

Graham Smith

Hi Peter

You're more than welcome to see the drawing - I've not reason to see why it should be a secret!

Only the drawings that the Technical Committee produce are subject to the Drawings Protocol.

I must say however, there seems to be a theory that Arthur Farrow as Drawings Manager has an enormous archive of non-Technical Committee drawings, and this is just simply not true.

One evening, he took me through exactly what the club had been gifted over the years, and there just wasn't much there of any significance.

I'm not sure if he has a list of what we have, but I'm sure he'll tell you if you ask him.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I would strongly disagree if that means the drawings, as a piece of HRD history and useful technical information, are lost from view to the world's Vincent Owners.

For my part I have a pair of as-cast cam-boxes and would dearly love to see the drawings so that I can machine them properly for my own A project.

Is this the thin end of the wedge? Are we to assume all Bob Stafford's 'A' drawings and sketches are going to be removed from him and put in the secret vault too? :mad:

Peter Barker
Bristol, UK.

Peter / Graham,

Maybe I could make a suggestion, and a copy of this drawing be sent to Bob Stafford as he is the focus point for people getting drawings / sketches and info on series A. He certainly has been very helpful in our A Comet rebuild and is willing to share any information.

Cheers,
Simon.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Drawing

You're more than welcome to see the drawing - I've not reason to see why it should be a secret!

I was never in any doubt that you (Graham) had the best of intentions to secure the drawing on behalf of the VOC to prevent it falling back into private hands never to be seen for another 70 years. This has happened to too much of the A stuff including the elusive A Twin crankcase drawing. But I am also aware the the Tech Committee are busy making drawings of A parts with an eventual aim of providing A spares through the VOCSC; hence my concern that this original drawing (if it is) might be spirited away for that purpose.

If that is not the case, then I am a happy man and withdraw my comment above. Moreover, I fully support Simon's view that Bob Stafford should be provided with copies for the benefit of all. :)

Peter Barker
Bristol, UK.

G

Graham Smith

OK, let's see what it's like first.

I'll report back when it arrives (in a few days the guy said).

Regards

Graham

G

Graham Smith

I had my hands on the drawing in question, and it turns out it's a camshaft cover for a Vincent Speedway Engine.

I've shown it to Arthur Farrow, Derek Sayer and John Sayer, and they think it's the first time they've seen the drawing, so a good result.

Derek Sayer currently has the drawing, but as and when I get it back, is there anyone who would like to see it published here on the forum?

John Emanuel

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The drawing almost certainly came from the estate of the late Frank Shillito of Newmiller Dam, Wakefield, who died earlier this year. He used the drawing to machine a casting which he had aquired along with the drawing when he built a Speedway engine for me in the early 1970's He found the drawing had some crucial errors!

A_HRD

VOC Member
Speedway Cambox Drawing

is there anyone who would like to see it published here on the forum?

Sure Graham, it is clearly of little use to the majority of people, but nevertheless, its still a neat piece of Vincent history which would be nice to see!

Regards,

Peter Barker
Bristol, UK.