HRD Camshaft cover drawing

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The mention of Frank Shillito by John Emmanuel takes me back at least 45 years to when I first met Frank. Frank was a CHARACTER and a very clever engineer. Lacking a lathe large enough to turn a Vincent cylinder head he used to weld the damaged exhaust port threads up and then clamp the head on the tool post and fit the thread cutting tool into a 4 jaw chuck. That way he could re-cut the thread. I remember going over there one day and he had just finished making a new clutch drum with lightening holes for Jim Smith of Pegsdon. The drum was made of vibrac and such is the small world of Vincents that when I bought the ex Cecil Mills bike, what should be in it but the same or a similar clutch drum.

For those who fancy their ability to set up an engine properly the following is a test which I have seen Frank perform many times on Rapides which he had set up. He used to get the engine warm, put the bike into first gear and then walk along side the bike with the clutch fully engaged and the engine ticking over. As Frank was about 5' 2" tall and round rather than whippet shaped this was a real test of both the clutch and the flexibility of the engine. A very competent man!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Norman,
You forgot to say "Don't Try This At Home" Some Vins have High first gears and big carbs.
I can just see heaps of Vins and there owners all over the world !!

Just a bit of fun. Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Aha Bill!

Note I wrote Rapide, that is original small carbed, low compressioned and low first gear. Frank's test was a really good test of engine flexibility and the clutch. Like you I have ridden more tuned machines for years in that youthful lust for speed that many of us had. When I rode a standard engined Rap a few years ago, the first time for many years, I was really impressed by just how much more friendly it was in traffic. In the meantime I agree that those with tweaked engines should picture themselves either pinned to the floor under a revving machine or flying cartoon like from the handlebars. That should stop them trying this test out for themselves.:rolleyes::rolleyes: