How to start your Vincent after a rebuild

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Best thing I have done this year is to buy a set of rollers off e-bay and adding a 4HP electric motor run off the mains with a foot switch. Pure luxury:cool:, But if you are determined to risk life,limb and paintwork with a tow, I used to run the rope round the centerline of the bike and hold it with my left hand gripping the bar with the rope slightly wound round, that way you can" let slip the dogs of war" anytime. It also prevents santapod take offs of the towing car jerking you horizontal.:eek:

highbury731

VOC Member
Best thing I have done this year is to buy a set of rollers off e-bay and adding a 4HP electric motor run off the mains with a foot switch. Pure luxury:cool:, But if you are determined to risk life,limb and paintwork with a tow, I used to run the rope round the centerline of the bike and hold it with my left hand gripping the bar with the rope slightly wound round, that way you can" let slip the dogs of war" anytime. It also prevents santapod take offs of the towing car jerking you horizontal.:eek:

That short fixed rope is a good recipe for hitting the tow vehicle if it slows suddenly, or if the bike engine fires, accelerating into it. But the mag was timed way out, so no danger of that....

They did manage to get it running later:

greg brillus

VOC Member
Well if that was a start after a rebuild, I would be mortified.....I would never attempt to run an engine like that without the use of a fan, let alone try and find why it won't run on both cylinders at low speed first. Poor engine......:(

greg brillus

VOC Member
Finger tight spark plugs......How about setting the idle mixtures with the engine at 3000 RPM....Or was he just looking to see what colour RED the exhaust pipes were. Must get them to tune my bike some time......:eek:

highbury731

VOC Member
Finger tight spark plugs......How about setting the idle mixtures with the engine at 3000 RPM....Or was he just looking to see what colour RED the exhaust pipes were. Must get them to tune my bike some time......:eek:

These two videos are a bit like John Cleese in Fawlty Towers. Those programs got used by the hotel trade as examples of how not to do it, for training staff....

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That Highbury is trying to stop me sleeping !!, Reminds me of the time I towed Brother Ron !, He broke down a short way away from our house, On his A twin, So I went out in my Mk10 Jag, Ron gets a bit Ratty ! when he breaks down !!, I didn't want to tow him, But he's my Big Brother ! = Ron on his ear on top of an A twin !!. I felt realy bad. Cheers Bill.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I did notice that at the start of video 2 the pipes were OK but at the end they were VERY blue - something not right there!

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
Should this not be how NOT to start your bike after a rebuild!
But we would all buy it at the right price?