How to paint chrome wheel centres?

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Anyone got tips on this subject? Do's, don'ts type of paint, preparation, masking,coach lining etc.
Thanks Mac

timetraveller

VOC Member
This will only work if you do it before you assemble the wheel. Take the bare rim; mask off with several layers of masking tape the parts you do not want to paint and then lightly grit blast the centre. Use a blast medium that will not cause any damage, possibly crushed walnut shells or whatever. Just enough to rough up the polished chrome or polished stainless steel. Two pack paint is tough and polyurethane is abrasion resistant. If it is well masked up you can either brush paint or use a spray gun. Paint but do not line yet. You might be able to leave the masking tape in situ if you have used a good non bleed one, and assemble wheel. The easiest way to do the lines is to buy or borrow one of those lining pens, I have forgotten the manufacturers name. Then you can spin the wheel on its spindle and hold the lining pen as it turns. Black centres and red lines were original on all the newish ones I remember from years ago. Finally remove the masking tape. The red line can go over the black paint if you want something to key it to. Good luck with it.

nkt267

VOC Member
http://www.beugler.com/
I tried one of these to do the lines..It hits the spokes, I gave this idea up and lined them by hand..
When I had the rims drilled I then took them to the painter for 2k paint and once they were masked uo the we used a 3M type abrasive pad to prepare the surface...12 years on it still looks good..John

timetraveller

VOC Member
Thanks, that's good info. I only use one of the paint stripers once and as a very non artistic person I was impressed as to just how easy I could make a decent line on a tank. As the device is supposes to work at any angle I thought that it should be possible to hold it so that it misses the spokes but then we all know what thought did.

nkt267

VOC Member
The draw back is that with the Beugler the wheel is dead square and if it is not held right you do not get the correct line.It works well on flat surfaces but I found that the length of the body hit the spokes. T he body is just over 3/4" at the top and the length is 5 1/4 with the plunger fully in, it is longer depending on how much paint is in it..john

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies, I'm having to do up the front wheel on my 1937 Empire Star. Green and gold centres.
Mac

nkt267

VOC Member
As the device is supposes to work at any angle I thought that it should be possible to hold it so that it misses the spokes but then we all know what thought did.
Of course if you use the edge guide that comes with it and line before rebuilding then no problem..John

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Of course if you use the edge guide that comes with it and line before rebuilding then no problem..John
John, I had never seen one of these before, are they as easy to use as the video shows? (obviously after some practice)

Regards
Kevin

timetraveller

VOC Member
Kevin, I wrote earlier in this thread that I has tried one out. It was at a show and on a piece of more or less horizontal metal I could produce the most elegant lines. Of course it is going to be easier working at the correct height on an easily accessible surface but believe me, if I could do it then anyone can. I have no artistic talent at all.

nkt267

VOC Member
I borrowed one to do the red lining on the wheels..It appears that the thickness of the paint is a factor as to how the lines turn out..The one I tried at a show worked beautifully,but you will have to make sure the paint is not too thin otherwise it will just run out..Somewhere about runny double cream but not milk..I think I used a fuelproof model aircraft paint..John