HB: Handlebars How to install horn button on new enameled bars

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Myself I´d like to have a kill button option for sure. How do you guys stop an engine with a stuck open carb slide ? With the valve lifter ? A bit very hard on that at high revs I´d imagine. But then, any ideas to add this option to a Lucas mag ? Not so simple to do.

Vic

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I used them for a time, But found them a bit hit and miss !,
A small bit of dirt could stop them working,
I even used one for Sprinting for short time, To change gear without shutting the throttle,
But after a while I thought it was too risky, And not worth a split second.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have stopped a stuck engine with a RE decompressor quite an easy task I was expecting a lot of mess but engine was clean, wouldn't like to have used the standard one at those revs

highbury731

VOC Member
Last summer I was very pleased to have a kill button on the handlebar of my Norton twin. The throttle jammed wide open on a downhill at 70mph. As standard, it's on the side of the tool tray, under the seat. I was VERY glad I had moved it to the handlebar.

It turned out that the problem was my new choke slide. A new part from Burlens, and the top corner had caught on the throttle slide, and held it open. I checked an original, and it had a chamfer on the top corners to stop this.

Paul

LoneStar

VOC Member
But then, any ideas to add this option to a Lucas mag ?
The alternative Lucas magneto end cap, with provision for a lead to the kill switch, fits on a KVF. Lucas # 458619, available from Norvil as mentioned above, and from many other suppliers.

I've had one installed for years with the Lucas horn button, works a treat. For some reason they designed the cap to accept a thick HT lead, though, even though it carries no HT - I grafted on an 18 gauge wire to lead up to the bars.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
My mag cap has a rubber boot with a small opening for a 14 gauge wire to the handlebar push button. I pack the boot with silicone seal to keep water out.

oexing

VOC Member
Thanks for pointing me in the right place. The picture of the end cap above looked a bit strange with the big socket for earthing wire but obviously correct .

Vic

Albervin

VOC Member
When I rewired the Egli Comet some 30 odd years ago I put a separate earth ("ground " for our colonial readers) [ or is that not "PC"] {Oooohhh} wire on EVERY component that needed to be earthed. Overkill I know but I've not had any earth type problem since, and if I did the first thing I would look at would be the separate earth wire and earthing points
All well and good when done properly but my Shadow had about 2km of wiring for the indicators, lights and the blinker buzzer device. all different colours of course. That is what happens when a farmer has spare wire in the shed. While I like to have a kill switch I still think a valve lifter is the kindest way to stop a Vincent engine in normal circumstances.