HB: Handlebars How to install horn button on new enameled bars

Mark Stephenson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
In a stress situation, you are likely to be needing throttle and / or brake. Better to put the horn button on the left so you can hit it easily. While you are at it, shuffle the lever locations so you can easily reach the button without moving your whole hand. When you are stressed, that counts....
I am putting a Miller combined horn / dip unit on the left, where I can reach both just by moving my thumb.
Paul
Paul

Interesting point on the Miller combined Horn/DIP. Do you have a part # or pic?

Thx

Mark

highbury731

VOC Member
Yes, that's the one i have. It's a recently-made replica. I also have an original Miller off/low/high switch with two buttons, which may get used on the other side as an indicator switch.

craig

VOC Member
The original Lucas horn 4A 7/8 switch has a "cleat" punched into the mount strap that is designed to cut the paint and make electrical ground.

LucasVincentHornButton.jpg

Last edited:

Colin

VOC Member
When I rewired the Egli Comet some 30 odd years ago I put a separate earth ("ground " for our colonial readers) [ or is that not "PC"] {Oooohhh} wire on EVERY component that needed to be earthed. Overkill I know but I've not had any earth type problem since, and if I did the first thing I would look at would be the separate earth wire and earthing points

Denny653

VOC Member
When I rewired the Egli Comet some 30 odd years ago I put a separate earth ("ground " for our colonial readers) [ or is that not "PC"] {Oooohhh} wire on EVERY component that needed to be earthed. Overkill I know but I've not had any earth type problem since, and if I did the first thing I would look at would be the separate earth wire and earthing points
Only half of the people in the colonies are PC...

craig

VOC Member
Where does the Lucas 4A handlebar kill switch mount ?
I dont see a reference.

Are there period photos of B/C Vincents that show this kill button detail?
earthing button?
MO25HandlebarLayout.jpg

Or maybe a kill button doesnt belong on a Vincent,

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
I've been riding Vincents since about 1957 and I do not recall ever seeing a kill button on any original road equipped Vin in those days. The standard magnetos had no provision for it but there were people who fitted the 'competition contact breaker housing to some bikes to give them access to manual advance and retard. Those could be supplied with an end cap which allowed shorting out.