HB: Handlebars How to install horn button on new enameled bars

Mark Stephenson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Folks,

I put on some new black enameled bars on my Series B. Horn works. The horn button is original and works. I have scraped some paint off (purposely this time) so that one of the two tabs within the horn bracket should contact the metal bar. Rather than scrape the paint off all the way around the bar-is there another place I should try or am I going about this all wrong?

Picture attached of current config.
92742FFC-61B2-49DE-B23F-C84C15B213A1_1_105_c.jpeg

Best

Mark

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Mark,
With an AVO meter you should check that there is an earth connection between the bars and the earth side of the battery. It's highly unlikely that this is out but it is possible and can be fixed by removing enamel under the handlebar clamps, etc. Cheers, Stu.

Mark Stephenson

Non-VOC Member
Interesting. Thanks so much. I don't have an AVO meter and would not know how to check anyway:)..>BUT, I might as well remove some enamel under the handlebar clamps--I think you are on to something as the horn rings when touch the bell to the handlebar bolts. Thanks. Will report back! Mark

vibrac

VOC Member
Pinch a flat connector in the clamp bolt run a thin black cable to the horn clamp attach to a hornclamp screw of course if you have an all in one LH switch the horn feed is a positive feed and doesnt need to earth

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I wrapped some thin aluminum around the bars to clamp the button to and then trapped a short wire under that and the other end under the handlebar clamp. A ground wire from the headlamp to the UFM is also good to have, otherwise the ground current goes through the steering head bearings.

Chris.R

VOC Member
why not leave the paint intact. Get some dual core cable and use one core as intended and the other core to connect tween the body of the button and the frame
That is exactly what I have done run a dedicated earth from the horn button to the frame. I have done the same from the headlight with no interruptions along the way.
Chris

highbury731

VOC Member
In a stress situation, you are likely to be needing throttle and / or brake. Better to put the horn button on the left so you can hit it easily. While you are at it, shuffle the lever locations so you can easily reach the button without moving your whole hand. When you are stressed, that counts....
I am putting a Miller combined horn / dip unit on the left, where I can reach both just by moving my thumb.
Paul