How to get a motorcycle license…

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is a simpler way to get better as a rider (and I say that after many years of road racing) and thats trials and trail riding. Spend a few weeks with the back wheel stepping out, the front wheel loosing bite and balancing at zero MPH and you will really know where its at.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I could not pass my Bike test, Till I passed my car test,
One time On Braking, The bloke walked out in front of me ,
Coming down a hill, Wet and Muddy !, I had it sideways like a speedway rider,
I thought I had done well !,
Didn't fall off !, But he failed me !!,
So I bought a Vincent Twin with a Sidecar, And L plates :D .

timetraveller

VOC Member
Same kind of story here. I had been riding my Vin twin on L plates for years and they were about to bring in a rule that learners were limited to a small capacity bike. I booked the test but was doing a job of some sort on my own bike on the day of the test and so borrowed a twin belonging to local member, Paul Champion, who still speaks to me. After all the usual stuff the examiner asked me to ride round a series of streets which formed a loop and told me that at some stage he would step out from the pavement and get me to do an emergency stop. I went round the loop about four or five times with the examiner starting to step of the pavement as I want passed and then stepping back. On the next circuit he stepped right out into the road at the last minute and it really was an emergency stop. The road was freshly gravelled and about an inch thick in loose chippings. I and the bike went down and as I stood up I started to tell him exactly what I thought of him and set off towards him with what must have been a gleam in my eye. He retreated rapidly, waving his arms about and shouting "its all right you passed, you passed". Paul's bike had a slight mark on the exhaust pipe, but as I said, he still speaks to me, generally in quite friendly terms.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
On the 4th try !! , The bloke said don't slow off before I jump out,
I thought you must be having a laugh, I didn't go over 20 mph,
And it stopped dead, No fuss. =Pass.
Hope I don't have to take one again.

b'knighted

VOC Member
One story I heard involved the candidate riding round the block several times then coming around a corner in time to see the examiner being wiped out by a surprised qualified rider who just happened to be on that road.

stu spalding

VOC Member
The examiner gave me directions to follow, saying he'd step out for the emergency stop. I got lost on a housing estate. On another occasion with a different rider the examiner stepped out and got flattened. He'd picked the wrong bike! Cheers, Stu.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
It was a snowy Feburary when I took mine and the roads were really wet and slushy, I slid off twice, out of the examiners sight fortunately. When I did the emergency stop he said "you were going a bit too slow coming along there" to which I replied " that's as fast as I think the conditions safely allow" and got an extra tick for that, and a pass.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I passed my test first time in snowy and sleety conditions in February 1976 on my brother's D1 125 Bantam. I had a lady examiner and she explained that she would hold out her clipboard when she wanted me to do the emergency stop. Well on the very first lap I was approaching her and was beginning to assume that she wasn't going to do it as there was probably traffic behind, but just as I was level with her I saw the board go out in the corner of my eye. It took me by so much surprise that I literally did everything in unison. I hit both brakes hard, closed the throttle and de-clutched. The Bantam stood on its nose and whilst the back wheel snaked, I kept it in a straight line (No Barry Briggs style for me like Bill did).

It was an impressive stop regarding distance traveled and she said "Well I won't ask you to do that again".

I assumed I had failed and the riding test was completed. When it came to the questions she asked me what order do you operate the controls in an emergency stop? I think if I had got that wrong it would of cemented the failure, but because I knew the answer I think she let me off.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I passed my test first time in snowy and sleety conditions in February 1976 on my brother's D1 125 Bantam. I had a lady examiner and she explained that she would hold out her clipboard when she wanted me to do the emergency stop. Well on the very first lap I was approaching her and was beginning to assume that she wasn't going to do it as there was probably traffic behind, but just as I was level with her I saw the board go out in the corner of my eye. It took me by so much surprise that I literally did everything in unison. I hit both brakes hard, closed the throttle and de-clutched. The Bantam stood on its nose and whilst the back wheel snaked, I kept it in a straight line (No Barry Briggs style for me like Bill did).

It was an impressive stop regarding distance traveled and she said "Well I won't ask you to do that again".

I assumed I had failed and the riding test was completed. When it came to the questions she asked me what order do you operate the controls in an emergency stop? I think if I had got that wrong it would of cemented the failure, but because I knew the answer I think she let me off.
0h to be young again,
Mind you I still make a Pratt of myself.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
My Weapon of choice was Ariel Leader, Now you know it had to be a Racer :D ,
I took the screen off !,
Fine little Bike, If it had another carb' and another gear in the Box, It would have been a World Beater,
If it's good enough for George Brown, It's good enough for me .