ET: Engine (Twin) How to fix crack in ET24 (HRD) Valve Inspection Cap

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If the rocker adjuster comes in contact with the cap, a person could try a thinner gasket so the cap screws down a bit further. Some gaskets I’ve come across are fairly thick. A couple of new caps that I purchased also didn’t have quite the same profile inside and were a little more likely to make contact.

Random tip for the day.... when buying new caps, if they are going on a clean or rebuilt head, always apply some lubricant to the threads.

Cyborg

VOC Member
150.......pathetic........I've got a 44 gal drum full of those old pesky things............ ;)

Which begs the question..... why do we never toss out old knackered Vincent parts? How many bronze and aluminum large idlers could we collectively come up with? At least I can say I turned one into a hand wheel to replace the broken one on the little Atlas mill.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I recently saw a photo of a newly rebuilt engine with an alloy big idler in place.
My OZ Rapide had one. John McDougall insisted on checking over the timing case when I had him doing valve seals ( tip of the iceberg)
The teeth on the idler were all intact but severely deformed and just ready to shed aluminium swarf into bearings, oil pump, cams etc...

I've put thicker sealing rings on the valve caps to gain clearance when a skinny ring allowed contact. Not sure how a thinner ring would eliminate contact?

Cyborg

VOC Member
I've put thicker sealing rings on the valve caps to gain clearance when a skinny ring allowed contact. Not sure how a thinner ring would eliminate contact?

You need to stare at one for a while. It’s counter intuitive, but thinner gasket can help. It brings the fat part down lower giving more room when the valve is wide open.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I had to raise the rocker caps with thick gaskets on the 1360 , but that is a .440 lift cam. Mk1s are about .315, mk2s .343

Last edited: