How to advertise on this site

davidsgems

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I tried to put a wanted advert into the classified section but it says not allowed, this is strange as there will be some bikes for sale. Theres no point in joining a club unless you have a bike but if you have to join first then thats a bit odd.

Hope someone can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Graham Smith

I tried to put this into the classified section but it says not allowed, this is strange as there will be some bikes for sale. Theres no point in joining a club unless you have a bike but if you have to join first then thats a bit odd.

Yes David, you're right - non-Members of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club cannot post 'Wanted' ads, however, they can post 'For Sale' items.

It's an advantage of belonging to the Club I'm afraid!

As a non-Member of the Club, if you look at the top right of our home page, you will find a PDF of our Membership Form.

davidsgems

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Advantage or disadvantage

My view is that it is a disadvantage to any of your members wanting to sell a bike.

Having to join before actually owning a bike is pointless and doesnt hold up other than paying for the running of this site.

I may be wrong in my thinking and I am sure there is a logical explanation but I cannot see it.

G

Graham Smith

My view is that it is a disadvantage to any of your members wanting to sell a bike.
Believe me, none of our Members ever have trouble selling their bikes!

Having to join before actually owning a bike is pointless and doesnt hold up other than paying for the running of this site.
Not true, I know many people who have joined the Club before actually owning a machine (me included), and get a lot out of it regardless of the fact that they don't own a bike.

I may be wrong in my thinking and I am sure there is a logical explanation but I cannot see it.
Quite clearly, the reason for this system is to encourage you to join the Club.

There are normally bikes for sale in our monthly magazine MPH, but of course, receipt of this is another Member benefit.

Where would you like me to send your application for membership form? ;-)

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
One of the great things about the VOC is that ownership is not a requirement to join. Only last weekend at our Section meeting an elderly gentleman told us that he had always wanted a Vincent but never owned one. As he was a great admirer of the marque, could he become a member? Why, certainly and a Membership Form was quickly produced. (We never leave home without them).
As to Sales & Wants, it's only fair that members enjoy that facility. There are several other avenues that can be used, e.g. Old Bike Mart.

davidsgems

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I will wait till after June before joining as the fee reduces then. If I havent bought a Brough before this or found a Vincent then I will join. I still find the advertising thing very strange though. As for the comment by Len. It is nice that an old chap has an interest and a lot of people like clubs for the social interest. My interest is to have a bike I can ride as quick as I dare, or something I can rebuild to do the same job. I am not a clubby person although I do belong to the BDC, FN, HRG and several other car clubs due to cars I own and competitions meaning spares and advice are useful. It is often a two way thing. I once attended a BDC meeting in Knightsbridge in 85 but it was full of Horray Henrys so I didnt go back.

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Buying, selling, joining or not.

In my opinion you would be a fool, very confident, conceited or naive to contemplate spending £30K + on a Vincent without joining the club. I bought a Vinnie in 1984 before I joined the club. BIG mistake. Cost me a lot, but now I have 3 & only have problems with the rising price of petrol!
Buy a Brough...?......... you cannot compare a pre war Brough with a post war Vincent. I have several bikes from the 1920s,'30s & '40s, nice as they are they cannot be ridden in modern conditions like a '48 Rapide.

davidsgems

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
WELCOME TO THE CLUB. Wow!!! if your email is a representation, there seems to be serious issues afoot.

My circumstances you know nothing about and youir opinion matters little to me, when put in such an off hand way. Your comments I assume are in regard to yourself as you seem to have had bad experiences in the past and seem to put values on your bikes without being specific but that is not my problem and I dont have to comment as you seem to have said it all. I have though had several nice emails already that I am pusuing.

I disagree with you about a Brough completely. Its a matter of choice, otherwise we would all be riding or driving the same. I drive 20's/30's/50's and a new car and find them all delightful