How things used to be, no Vincent content.

Alan J

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Don't forget grey worsted trousers that rubbed your knees sore in the winter-non-iron shirts-ugh! steel capped boots and "Larry the lamb" on "Childrens hour" at 5 0"clock! And the snow in the winter of'47!! I've come over all nostalgic!!

Rocket3

VOC Member
The nice man that filled your bike up with petrol when you ran over the air line at the garage....ding ding

timetraveller

VOC Member
And then there was the lady of the house getting up at 6 am to light a fire which had been set the previous evening so that it was above freezing (just) when we youngsters got up, ice (Jack Frost) on the inside of the bedroom windows when one woke up, VE day, VJ day, smogs so thick that even as a 10 year old with good eyesight and reflexes one had to walk home from school one paving slab at a time, Mrs Dale's Diary, ITMA, The Eagle (that was later) and so on. Air raid sirens and trips to the cellar Milk being delivered by being scooped from churns by the road side. The clatter of clogs as people went to work in the mills at 7am or earlier. Miners covered in coal on their way home from work to have a bath in a tin tub in front of an open fire. later to die from silicosis. Industrial accidents with no compensation for the widow and children. Deformities of young people due to alcohol abuse by their parents. TB and polio. The good old days? Well some of them were

petermb998

Non-VOC Member
I am suprised at the response to the reply that I have put on the forum. All the different memorys of our early days and most I remember.
The tin Bath to be shared with my brothers and sister in the down stairs room which would be known as the celler.On a Sunday Night bath night.
Listening to Journey into Space on a Monday night. on the Light program.
Take it from here Jimmy Edwards with Ron and Eff (ooooooo Ron) (yes Eff). on a sunday afternoon.
Educating Archie the ventriloquist dummy on the radio.
Ted Ray, Rays a Laugh.
Sempreny Serenade on a Sunday night that my Dad would listen too and also Palm Court Hotel sunday night music.
First thing in the morning would be constant music and the only announcement was a time check every 15 minutes or so.
Workers play time at 12.30 dinner time during the working week.
Door step delivery of lemonade,fish and chips.
and I am only 66.

Any More.
Happy Days.
Peter

John Appleton

VOC Member
KNITTED WOOLEN BATHING TRUNKS!!!, kaolin poultices, Liquafruta cough mixture, syrup of figs, and dipping bread in Dads smoked haddock juice for tea.
John

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Horse-drawn deliveries of milk +logs, my Mum had lovely roses! Red Brooke Bond vans, Most others good or bad already mentioned. Roy.

A

alan wright

Talking of Workers Playtime I'm sure they came to the Vincent factory ( or the HRD as the locals called it.) Anyone know when and who was on the bill. My guesses include Cyril Fletcher, Jon Pertwee, the Beverley Sisters, the Stargazers, Jimmy Jewel and Ben Warris, Elsie and Doris Waters,Frankie Howerd, Bob Monkhouse and Shirley Abicair !!! Happy New Year from the snowy Charente.

ossie

VOC Member
Traction engines leveling the tar after the tar blocks had been removed
the traction engine powering the threshing machine and catching the mice and putting them in your pockets
the indian man with his suitcase full of brushes sitting crosslegged at the end of the road .the french man with his bicycle covered in onions.
Ect.....ect..
It goes on
all the neighbours going to work on there 350 ajs and matchlesses no cars then.
Ossie