How similar to series C is the series A single Burman.

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
'Tis my belief that fixed kickstarts without rubber were standard, but that was when men were men and boots were boots.
Are there any one owner Comets with an owner who knows what was fitted from new?
Can any ex-employees straighten this out for us?
It won't make any difference to me, I'll still want a rubber on my folding kickstart - I like to practice safe motorcycling and always use a rubber.

nkt267

VOC Member
I'll still want a rubber on my folding kickstart - I like to practice safe motorcycling and always use a rubber.
You wouldn't want to use the one on my 1932 Sunbeam----It's WHITE---Can't figure that one out at all..John

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for that. It was mainly the desire to fit a folding kickstart to the Meteor that prompted my question. I have bought one from an Australian supplier and it fits perfectly. It looks good but hasn't got a rubber on it yet.

No rubber is correct. It was only the twins that had a rubber fitted to the kick starter foot piece at the factory. I'm sure however that a number of owners subsequently added rubbers as an "upgrade" . As you can see from the parts list, no rubber is shown.

upload_2014-9-17_7-50-32.png

b'knighted

VOC Member
Thanks Martyn,
Where did this listing and picture originate? I've never seen old Burman literature with Vincent part numbers on. This looks like an old illustration that has had its key linked to the Vincent part numbers but had it been a Vincent illustration it would be numbered with the PR numbers and the PR numbers would be sequential. I don't think we can take this as evidence that Vincent fitted unrubbered folding kickstarts.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Martyn,
Where did this listing and picture originate? I've never seen old Burman literature with Vincent part numbers on. This looks like an old illustration that has had its key linked to the Vincent part numbers but had it been a Vincent illustration it would be numbered with the PR numbers and the PR numbers would be sequential. I don't think we can take this as evidence that Vincent fitted unrubbered folding kickstarts.
Go to the spares Copmpany (their web shop) and you will find this statement:

"This list of parts for Burman Gearbox is intended for Series ‘B’ & 'C' Models part numbers are from the factory parts list and the list below, the majority of the parts are used on the Series ‘A’ machines also.
Any parts specific to the Series ‘A’ will wil be in the Series 'A' Suppliment section.

We strongly recomend you download the Burman parts list form the Vincent Owners Club of Scandinavia wedsite.

http://www.vincenthrd.se/Modeller/skisser-burman.php "

and that is where I obtained it. Below are the final 3 pages. Forms a great resource when working on the box or ordering parts.
upload_2014-9-18_8-37-29.png

upload_2014-9-18_8-38-52.png

upload_2014-9-18_8-40-3.png

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Martyn,

Here is a factory advert that appeared on the front cover of "Motorcycling in Australia" from May 1951. Look close and you can see - NO kick start rubber.

upload_2014-9-18_13-21-19.png

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Regarding K/S rubbers, very early Series B Twins didn't have one according to Dave Quartermaine who owned such a machine." Your Kickstart rubber is missing Dave" I said. "No it's not" he said, "it didn't have one from new".

b'knighted

VOC Member
Here is a factory advert that appeared on the front cover of "Motorcycling in Australia" from May 1951. Look close and you can see - NO kick start rubber.
Thanks, that I do accept as period evidence that folding kickstarts, without rubbers, were supplied. I'll crawl back into my cave and keep my head down. Now - what about the prewar bikes?

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Thanks, that I do accept as period evidence that folding kickstarts, without rubbers, were supplied. I'll crawl back into my cave and keep my head down. Now - what about the prewar bikes?
Based on Bickerstaff it appears that the "A" series, single and twin, both with Burman boxes, had a non-folding lever with a rubber. No idea regarding pre "A" series bikes.