How similar to series C is the series A single Burman.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I fitted a folding kickstart to my 80s Ducati, got a cheap folding kickstart from an autojumble and an old one with the correct spline, had the chrome stripped off both then cut off one splined end, welded the other on and had it rechromed. At that time a new Ducati one was about £200 mine was about £15.
This way you can get the shape and length you want.

b'knighted

VOC Member
The A single fires up easily enough with the standard lever but as Vibrac says, "I can't stand the standard one interfering with my leg". It is being fitted with folding footrests as well because, once you've lived with a twin, Comet and in this case Meteor footrests are a pain in the shin!.

nkt267

VOC Member
It is being fitted with folding footrests as well because, once you've lived with a twin, Comet and in this case Meteor footrests are a pain in the shin!.
Got folding footrests on my Comet.....BLISS!!!!!!!..John

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
The Spares Company has a batch of Comet Folding Kick starters (for "C") in manufacture right now. If you want one you had better get your order in quick smart. Already over 15 folk have them on back order.

Now John, where did you get those folding footrests?

b'knighted

VOC Member
Thank you Martyn,
The Spares Company had a batch of C Comet Folding footrests made, I bought a set for the A which has a subtly different taper so postwar footrest spacers have to be used. My C Comet wears a solid stainless set made some years ago by Mac Read. By machining the spacers down I was able to tuck the tops in a little closer than standard and they really do improve the bike.

nkt267

VOC Member
My C Comet wears a solid stainless set made some years ago by Mac Read.
I was a reluctant to mention Mac as he was inundated with phone calls for sets of these footrests which he doesn't make anymore. He will not be making any more..John

b'knighted

VOC Member
A good point John. Perhaps I should have said that owing to continued demand after Mac said he would never make any more, the clubshop had a batch made. Mac's were stainless. The club hangers are heavily chromed on, I believe, a bronze casting. I started a thread about them in December 2012. http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/...footrest-hangers-by-mac-read.5606/#post-42962 which finished in May 2013 when a the clubshop sent me a pair as soon as they came into stock. A couple of other people in my section bought them as well so I'd imagine that the batch didn't last long.

Did the factory ever fit folding kickstarts to singles? I think that all early photos show the fixed pedal type but nearly every Comet has a folding one fitted now.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I see he now also has folding kick starts for the Burman boxes
Thanks for that. It was mainly the desire to fit a folding kickstart to the Meteor that prompted my question. I have bought one from an Australian supplier and it fits perfectly. It looks good but hasn't got a rubber on it yet.