How NOT to sell Vincent spare parts!

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
MPH arrived on Friday and as I have done for the past 45 years I turned straight to Floggers Corner, the first advert there was from Alan Powell selling a Vincent petrol tank, with my heart in my boots I rang Alan fully expecting the usual response from most adverts that I have inquired after, sorry, it is already sold, but no, I was the first inquiry and it was still for sale. Alan emailed me photos of the tank and I agreed straight away to purchase the tank for the full asking price with the addition of Alan's suggested postage costs of £25.00. I posted my cheque the same day first class post, on Saturday I rang Alan just to make sure that my cheque had arrived, apparently it had not, but Alan made me quite aware that he had received numerous inquiries for the tank, I did offer to pay Alan using PayPal (with me picking up the charges) as he had a PayPal account but he refused my offer and said lets give the post a little longer. Sunday is a no post day so I phoned on Monday only to be told it had still not turned up, very strange! I offered to send another cheque via special delivery guaranteeing next day delivery but Alan declined saying lets give it another day, very very strange, on Tuesday I rang Alan again around midday, my cheque had still not arrived, I thought enough is enough so I said to Alan this time I will send a new cheque , special delivery thereby guaranteeing payment the next day, Wednesday, obviously that was the last thing that Alan wanted as he said "no don't do that, I have decided not to sell the tank to you, I was selling the tank far too cheaply and I have decided to put on Ebay, I am going to inform all the other people that have phoned me for the tank and then highest bidder will get it" now I realize why the Royal Mail was not working to well! Well all very nice if that is the way you want to do business, but why why why not research the price that you want for the item before you start messing genuine purchasers around or just put it on Ebay in the first instance. I notice that it is on Ebay now for the same starting price as was in MPH, I for one will not be bidding!

Very sad news about Phil Primmer, last time I chatted at length to Phil was at the West Country Meet at Coombe Martin campsite a few years back, at the bar of course, anyway Phil handed me two of his business cards, one read Phil Primmer, West Country Sidecars, the other read Phil Primmer, Bullshitter!
Phil Primmer, good sense of humor and all round good bloke.

G

Graham Smith

I had a similar experience back in 2003 (I think), when I first started looking for a Vincent.

I received my copy of MPH early one morning, and having seen the ad for the Shadow on my way to work, I immediately telephoned the seller to tell him that I wanted the bike and that I would pay him the full asking price. He was happy with this and would save the bike for me. I told him that once I got into the office would call again to confirm all his details and post him a deposit cheque.

By the time I got into the office, he had obviously changed his mind and questioned whether we actually had an agreement, and that he was going to invite all interested people round to his house to view the bike before having an auction in his back garden.

Needless to say I didn't go to his action, which was a blessing in disguise really, as another Black Shadow was offered to me just a few months later for less than half the price.

G

Graham Smith

Graham,

You appear to have disliked Peter's post, but then seem to be relating a similar story.....

To me it sounds like MPH is being used for market research.

Aaaah, yeah, my fault really.

What I actually dislike is what the seller did to Peter.

Not the actual post.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
No MPH is the new E bay way back when I was Young you shock hands and the deal was done not now No ethics any more

Last edited:

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
No MPH is the new E bay way back when I was Young you shock hands and the deal was done not now No ethics any more

Hi David, hope all is well with you mate, just a note if I may....would you mind using some punctuation as I find most of your posts, although interesting, very hard to decipher.
Regards
Kevin

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hi Pete,

Twas ever thus. Years ago I went after a pair of Shadow carbs. I phoned the vendor. He was happy to accept a cheque which I sent off immediately. After a couple of days I phoned him to see if the cheque had arrived. He said it had but that since then he had received many better offers. I told him he had not asked for offers. He had advertised a set price which I had paid and that he had accepted the deal just as he had accepted my cheque. He reluctantly agreed that this was the case. Some days later I received a letter from him, or rather an envelope. I opened it and shook out the contents. It contained my cheque torn up into tiny pieces. Presumably he thought this action absolved him of any responsibility.

Hugo

Last edited:

Black Flash

VOC Member
I had the same experience two years ago. I bought back my brother's B Rapide, a fantastic bike. I know the bloke well for years and I like him very much. we agreed on a price and sealed it by handshake (which in Germany by law is a contract) we decided due to the guy going on holiday that I would pick up the bike in 3 weeks time when he is back.
Guess what he decided he does not want to sell it any longer he told me when he came back from holiday. Luckily I found a black shadow half a year later at a dearer price, but with most of an Rapide included as spares. So in the end everybody tells me I did well, still I have this strange taste in my mouth when I think about it.
I do have a business of my own. sometimes you win , sometimes you loose but I would never behave like that, maybe because I am old fashioned.

Bernd

John Smith-Daye

VOC Member
That is just taking the Mick!

I'm sorry, Alan Powell, I don't know you, but you are presumably a member of the VOC as you have access to MPH - and that is not what I expect of a fellow Club Member.

I would suggest that the Club hierarchy issue him with a strong broadside shot about conduct unbecoming of a Member.

Showing a slight bit of remorse by apologizing to Justin in his e-bay listing doesn't get him off the hook in my book.

He really should honour the deal that was agreed originally - I hope that all that read this thread will boycott the e-bay listing, even if they really need a tank!

My recent dealings through MPH have been quite the reverse of this experience - somebody advertised the need for a Comet footrest hanger, which I had as a spare, we agreed a price, and he sent more than that to cover the postage despite me telling him not to!!