How NOT to sell Vincent spare parts!

Tug Wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Doesn't anyone know how to make quality anymore, what happened to craftsmen? I had a '57 Squarriel once with a dent in the tank (chromed so couldn't be bogged) I went to over 25 "panel beaters" before I finally found an old guy willing to even try and repair it....he cut it to pieces because of the rust he found inside and hand made new panels to fit....good enough to chrome when he finished!!
That type of Craftsman is all but impossible to find these days, a very sad indictment on the "repair by replacement" tradespeople around today. My wife hit a kangaroo in our 3 month old car, it had runs in the paint when it came back from repair????

You still painting Roos?

samueljohn

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have had the luck to go out on a limb and purchase one of the Indian tanks on eBay. When it arrived, it was covered in grease and had a strange liner. I stripped the grease and liner, and fit it to my Comet. It fit as well as my original tank. I sent it to my painter and he finished it perfectly. I installed it to the Comet and have been using it for the past couple of years. Overall, I am pleased with the tank, and I have since had the original refinished and never lost a day of riding. All for the price of fine meal in NY.
J

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I remember that the Spares Co sent a UFM style jig to the manufacturer, so some quality control could happen, but no word since. Maybe yours was made after that? If they actually have improved consistently, too bad that isn't made better known to those needing a tank.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
As I started this this thread I thought I may as well have the last word, I was going to write an article in MPH about the whole unsavory episode but I guess (hope) that there are not too many Alan Powell's amongst us in our club for enthusiasts, so I decided not to waste my time or club journal space on his like. I did not bother to follow the Ebay auction and until Albervin posted the result I had no idea what the tank went for, I would not have even bid £551.00 under the circumstances. As an aside once Alan had gone through the charade of telling me that my cheque had not arrived for day after day he did not even have the decency to return it, so as his integrity is questionable I took the precaution of cancelling the cheque with my bank. The episode could have been so easily avoided, decide how much you want for your spare parts and stick to that price, or put them on Ebay in the first instance and let the market decide the price.

Afternoon Peter,

I would encourage you to write something for MPH, even if only a brief email to Graham that he can insert in the letters section - MPH has still a much wider readership than the Forum with the best will in the world.

This chap's behaviour is unacceptable in my view, the club has a new set of rules about bringing the club into disrepute. I would want to make sure that this man is known to the entire membership for what he does. Better that members know before dealing with him in the future.

If you don't want to be bothered to write, but are willing to let me use your first post as content for the WLS write up then please drop me an email to let me know and I will write it.

This man will then have the right to reply in MPH if he wishes to, either to challenge the facts, or explain himself, or whatever he fancies really.

It really does come to something when a man's word is not his bond..........one more to add to my list to avoid when at a VOC event!!!!

Off for a ride now - the weather looks lovely out.

Cheers

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Indian Tanks

I've had one of these tanks for nearly 6 years, and the only complaints would be the following;

1/ Fuel outlets where angled rearwards, which means the fuel line runs behind the F106 on my Comet.
2/ The join between the top panels is not perfect, resulting in the need for some filler to get a nice curveture

HTH
Neil

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Samueljohn,

Any chance of letting us know who the ebay vendor was you got your tank from. As far as I know there are at least two maybe three different Indian manufacturers of Vin fuel tanks and so it would be good to know which one yours is. I don't need a tank myself, but know somebody who does. Sorry for the thread hijack.
Cheers, Simon.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Not a hi jack a good thing for all of us member it will sort the wheat from the chaff,I bought one it was ok but did not have the lower brackets for the pinch bolt.