How NOT to sell Vincent spare parts!

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The first time this sort of thing happened to me was years ago. The bike was an Ossa trialer with about 2 hrs of use. I made the deal over the phone and we agreed I would pick the bike up the following morning. The little p#%& didnt have the guts to phone me to say he was reneging due to a better offer coming after our agreement. I took the day off work and borrowed my Brothers pickup, then drove 40 miles into the city.
His second cowardly act was to leave his Mother the job of giving me the bad news. She said she was ashamed of him. IMO not a smart move to have your Mom go against you all for a few bucks (maybe 50 back then)

Since then the routine has occurred a couple of times, once in a modified version while attempting to buy Vincent crancases, same waste of a day, same city I detest driving into.

vibrac

VOC Member
WE DO HAVE A CLASSIFIED ON THIS FORUM see from main page
I thought I would shout as it seems to be a most underutilized forum with the most possibilities
after all we have a big thread moaning about e-bay and here we could have a simple market
not all can wait 6 Weeks for a sale or suffer some of the merchants out in ebay land

Albervin

VOC Member
A member in Australia paid a $10,000 deposit on an Egli. The cheque was banked. The vendor reneged and wrote out a refund cheque for $10,000. By law he did not have a leg to stand on. By Australian "Common Law" he would not have had a leg to stand on after a visit from a few "friends"! The purchaser (?) did not want the hassle of a court case but the vendor is now unwelcome at a lot of classic clubs. A bit of greed will haunt you for a loooooooong time. So, Mr Powell, you will reap what you sow for some years to come. It seems the days of clubmen helping out clubmen are slowly fading. However, I can also relate many instances when someone has made a donation to my bike; most recently an 8" Miller Lens for my headlight project. It was the last part required to put together a 100% original headlamp so this benefactor is now on my list to receive free bits should he need something.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The tank went for £795. So that is the price of goodwill for Mr Powell. I hope he spends it wisely!
As I started this this thread I thought I may as well have the last word, I was going to write an article in MPH about the whole unsavory episode but I guess (hope) that there are not too many Alan Powell's amongst us in our club for enthusiasts, so I decided not to waste my time or club journal space on his like. I did not bother to follow the Ebay auction and until Albervin posted the result I had no idea what the tank went for, I would not have even bid £551.00 under the circumstances. As an aside once Alan had gone through the charade of telling me that my cheque had not arrived for day after day he did not even have the decency to return it, so as his integrity is questionable I took the precaution of cancelling the cheque with my bank. The episode could have been so easily avoided, decide how much you want for your spare parts and stick to that price, or put them on Ebay in the first instance and let the market decide the price.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Most I have seen only fit after being attacked with a grinder and welding equipment.

Doesn't anyone know how to make quality anymore, what happened to craftsmen? I had a '57 Squarriel once with a dent in the tank (chromed so couldn't be bogged) I went to over 25 "panel beaters" before I finally found an old guy willing to even try and repair it....he cut it to pieces because of the rust he found inside and hand made new panels to fit....good enough to chrome when he finished!!
That type of Craftsman is all but impossible to find these days, a very sad indictment on the "repair by replacement" tradespeople around today. My wife hit a kangaroo in our 3 month old car, it had runs in the paint when it came back from repair????