how much for a comet in need of restoration?

michelin

New Forum User
VOC Member
What would be the least I'd have to pay for a comet in need of full restoration?

I know a friend of a friend that has one, at least 90% complete, not sure of any other details as yet.

I've seen what the good ones go for, but am finding it hard to trace any project prices.

many thanks for any assistance.

martin

len.c

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Martin,Depending on the condition and the parts missing I would guess between 5 and 6 thousand and possibly the same again to restore , depending how much you do yourself and the standard you require,This is based on my own experience,I still can,t believe how much it cost ..........len.c

michelin

New Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks len, looks like I might have to get some more info on it's condition, is there any particular info regarding age etc that particually affect price?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but it just cropped up out of the blue after I mentioned my father used to own a comet, I've not had time to do much reasearch.

Prince Duster

VOC Member
You may be blessed with mechanical magic, but I would go for a running bike. Vincents are complex beasts. You can refine, tweak, and generally
sort it out, but this is SO much easier road testing and getting to know the bike, rather than rebuilding it. Good luck.

DL

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Thanks len, looks like I might have to get some more info on it's condition, is there any particular info regarding age etc that particually affect price?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but it just cropped up out of the blue after I mentioned my father used to own a comet, I've not had time to do much reasearch.

So much depends on the model, its provenance and then condition.
Is it an A (pre-war) a B, C or D?
There's quite a difference in value today.

Let's assume C, 1949/50 onwards.
Do the numbers all match, did it leave the factory the way it is now - if so, add a little
Is there any history to the mechanicals - what has been done, by whom, to what standard and when - if not - then you may have to do it all yourself - and a Maughan total Comet engine can take more than 2 years and cost more than £4K - great value - but you have to be aware.
Cycle parts condition - bushes, dampers, all the things that wear - what sort of condition, cause if you have to go through the bike again then that costs money...

I agree with an earlier post - if it is a straight, genuine, honest bike, all there (or almost all, and be careful what small bits are missing, they may be very hard to source let alone cost a fortune) and cosmetically tatty then it is probably in the £4-6K range in todays market tops.

Sadly - people don't seem to follow that logic and you do see the above bike selling for more - but buyer beware.

Then on the other hand a minty restored B comet with brampton forks sold for "just" £12K including commission at the Banbury Auction - and it looked like you would not have to spend a penny on it and it would run and run and run......

So you pays your money and takes your choice, have fun, join the club soonest and if you aren't interested in buying the Comet then do remember me, I've been looking for a little while and not yet managed to conclude a deal to buy one.

Vincents are amongst the best motorcycles in the world to own and ride in my view, I've only done 15,000 miles on one so am still a novice but I love it to bits (1952 Rapide).

Best of luck.

nobby

VOC Member
I agree with the £4-6K price range, but if you consider prices on eBay for Girdraulic, UFM, RFM and engine parts, then 4 to 6 is not much... I know of a 90% complete Comet under the bench for 30 years but non-matching frame parts and engine, that will fetch probably more?