How Many Vincents Left?

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone have any idea (or estimate) of how many post war Vincent Comets, Rapides and Shadows are left? I've seen info on a Velo site from the DVLA as to how many of a particular make are still registered etc., but I'm not sure how to access this info for other manufacturers. Interestingly, in 2000, there were 6012 Velocettes licensed, 475 sorned, and 5822 unlicensed and unsorned. I would guess a lot of these will be LE's and that most of the 5822 unlicensed/unsorned machines have long gone. As well as estimating overall survivors, it would be interesting to have this info for Vincent.

Albervin

VOC Member
That would only be a fraction of what is out there. As you know, there are non members out there with 20+ machines.

deejay499

VOC Member
The unlicenced and unsorned ones do not mean that thay have gone, but may be just 'waiting' to be put back on the road as sorn is not needed until after they are taxed for the first time, though hopefully they are registered with DVLA to keep their number. DJ

vibrac

VOC Member
Dont trust the DVLA figures
I think one of the requirements of an entry person at DVLA HQ is a complete disinterest in the job
I could not get details on 20% of my registered machines
hows this for a sample
make :Triumph TR5 (try putting Triumph in for that on an enquiry)
Type :Two wheeled articulated vehicle (I suppose thats correct in the same way a steam roller is a three wheeler)
I assure you HRD Vincent and Vincent HRD are two separate makes in a computer in Wales
UK is looking for savings? DVLA thats the place to start.

Alan J

VOC Member
I always thought that the consensus was that about 50% of Vincents still existed-in the region of 6,000? {well, one stands ready for use in my shed!]

timetraveller

VOC Member
I was talking to a neighbour yesterday who has an old Aston Martin, the DB2/4 prototype. The Aston Martin Owners Club are of the opinion that about 80% of all Astons ever built still exist.

Albervin

VOC Member
Yup, stuck in sheds waiting for someone with the money to restore them! Hellishly expensive for engine and bodywork repairs; then you end up with a car that costs £10 per mile to run. Makes a Vincent look like a poor man's machine.:p

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Of the 4 Aston Martin, the DB2/4 prototypes made, we are pleased to have 7 on display here today! (substitute your favourite make and model where appropriate!)

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
as a famous Frenchman once said "you must never give any part of a Bugatti to an Eglishman" for in 12 months he will have a complete car!