How many post war tank type existed?

Spqreddie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dear all,

I would be curious to know how many tank types were made in Stevenange for the post war models.

I can think about three main shapes (I imagine various details and changes were made underneath, but a common main shape outside):

- Standard: Rapide, sahadow, comet, serried B,C, D.. etc..
- A la Gunga Din/grey flash
- A la Monthlery

- Special order a la Reg Deardens Supercharged (derived from a Gray lfash?)

Who made them? panel beaters? A press? They were made in house correct? Or outsourced?

I understood only the standard and a limited number of “Gunga Din/gray flesh” type race thanks were available to the public, correct? The gunga din tank seems similar to some grey flash tank, is this the same tank or there is a difference?

Thanks!!

Edmondo

davidd

VOC Member
Edmundo,

I think in general there was one outer tank shape that had a few variations. Then, there are all the special tanks.

The stock tank kept its basic design. Modifications over the years included adding tabs for the cross-tie to prevent cracking, enlarging the carb cut-out underneath and the Series D changes which included eliminating the oil hole and narrowing the tunnel for extra capacity.

The special tanks were probably made by several firms. John Bland mentioned Homers of Birmingham as one possibility. I suspect the choice was affected by availability of the finished tank more than anything else. Some modifications I am sure could be done in house, like the addition of two more petrol taps for fuel burners or underside mods for big carbs.

Many of the large tanks were built on a stock tank. I believe if a damaged tank came in that was beyond repair it would be handed to the tank shop. The shop would use the tunnel and the rear of the tank to speed up the fitting and then fabricate the rest of the bottom and top to suit the purpose. On the Grey Flash TT tanks, the photo below may be one, there is an additional crossover tie in the front and the oil filler chase is much larger allowing easier fitting. The photo of the rear shows how similar the lower shape is to the original stock tank. This is also how the large tank on Gunga Din appears. This is speculation on my part, but if I were building a big tank I would love to have a damaged tank to provide the tunnel and the mounting points.

I have not seen any of the other special tanks close up.

David

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The very early post war tanks were just flat on the bottom, no ripple break (if that is a good description) to give some rigidity. And no cross tie either.

Albervin

VOC Member
So, to clarify things. There were 2 types, sorry, 3 types of standard Series B tanks (thanks for that Robert). Series C standard and Series D standard. At least 3 types of Grey Flash tanks. I assume Lightning tanks had larger fuel outlets but what else was/were different? Monthelery (sp) tanks and specials. Then there were Amanda tanks, lawnmower tanks etc. Then there were Series A tanks... but best not go there.