How many of you are second generation Vincent owners?

L

Laplander

A friend of mine growing up years ago back in the Midwest, had a Dad who had two Vincents, an Ariel, and several Harleys, and lord knows what else, as he was a major hoarder. I remember not being particularly impressed with any of them at our age (maybe 10-13), as we were more into BMX bikes, but over the years after getting my first Harley, and learning more about the Vincent mystique, the more fascinated I grew with these two old Vincents. I tried several times to see about buying or swapping for them, but was always told no. My friend's dad died recently and he dragged them out of the dirt floor lean to where they had been for 30 or more years, and hauled them out to his place. I've heard that they are so far gone now that they probably can't be saved. So it made me wonder how many of you guys were second generation Vincent owners, and if you were, would you hold onto them even if you couldn't do anything with them?

carlm

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My kid will be if I can't sell mine. And if he doesn't care to keep it, he's a way tougher negotiator than I am. (He was into BMX too, so you're probably a contemporary.)

L

Laplander

Carl, I think the toughest part for me was the way they allowed them to rot. And it wasn't like I was trying to get the deal of the century, I had inherited some property from my grandparents as a kid, so even when I first approached him about it, I knew I could get the money to pay him what the bikes were worth. Now I just wonder if I should have just made a legitimate offer to see if he knew what they were really worth. And BTW, your Rapide is gorgeous. Are you a long time owner?

L

Laplander

And how old is your son? My first race was in '79, so I'm one of the old, old BMX guys.

carlm

Non-VOC Member
Not a real long time owner. I started looking in about '85 or '86, and found it in '88. I'm not riding much at all anymore, the joy seems to have left me (temporarily I hope). My son started racing and stunting about '82 or so. He's 40.

Dinny

VOC Member
If you are interested I wouldn't take his word they are too far gone. Have a look yourself, complete wrecks are rebuild able as long as the major lumps are there. We've rebuilt bikes out of hedges and alsorts, it's amazing what can be done.

Mark

timetraveller

VOC Member
I would agree. I once saw Bob Culver working on a set of crankcases which had been left on a damp carpet for decades. The bases were full of holes but were saved. Dont throw anything Vincent away until a long time Vincent owner has had a look at it!

deejay499

VOC Member
Do everything you can to get all the bits that are there. Just about all the spares are available and many things can be rebuilt. The engine can be welded, the rear frame can be retubed (keeping the number on the lug) and there are great engineers around the world that can put things right. It will cost money, but the smile on your face when you start it and have your first run, will make it all worthwhile. Me? yes a long time first generation who followed my Vincent owner brother. Learnt on a Rapide outfit in 1962 and had one ever since. Still on the road and loving it.

Dinny

VOC Member
I remember my father rebuilding a B bottom end for a friend, you have never seen crankcases so rough but it all worked out in the end. My brampton's were re tubed as they had snapped at some point in Argentina and had plates welded on the outside, when the plates were ground off the bottom castings completely separated.. Ray Daniels was mr fix it for those.
To be honest the more bent and broken the greater the challenge but also the greater the satisfaction when it's finished. Some people will never believe the before and after photos, I also never ever throw anything away.
Both myself and my brother are second generation vin owners and trust me, it's an addiction and I'm currently only 40 so a youngster in the Vin world, but been around them for about 20 years. Still a Norton man though so like to keep my Norton's and Vin's separate, don't need any Norvin's at the mo, well that's what the wife says!

Buy it, build it, ride it...

Mark