How many of you are second generation Vincent owners?

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Josh, I'm not looking for a deal, I'm looking for the right combination of provenance and condition. I'm going to do it, but I'm not going to jump all nilly willy into something that is going to cost this much. What I am going to do is be very aggressive in looking for one and talking with shop owners and Vincent owners to get what I want instead of just lurking from a distance.

So, do You really want a Vincent, or are you just blowing smoke?:confused:

L

Laplander

Trust me, November 1st hits and I will have my VOC membership bought, I just happened to make the commitment to start being aggressive in my search for one the only month of the year when you can't buy a memberhsip. I'm thinking the most viable club for me will be over in TX, and since I am right on the Border, even Dallas is just 5 or so hours away.

timetraveller

VOC Member
OK Laplander; so you do not want to do the work or spend the time and money on resurecting your friends semi scrap parts. No shame in that. There is a steady supply of well sorted out twins available as more and more of the older members fall off their perches. However, do urge your friend to make his pile of bits and pieces available to those who do have the time and skills to do the work. It would be a shame for possibly recoverable parts to end up in land fill. Once you are a member advertising in MPH is free and no one is going to complain if you advertise your friends parts.

Bogage

VOC Member
I don't know any Texas members personally, wait I met a nice couple at the North American Rally in August. I have heard nothing but positive things about the section. They assisted a Shadow rider who was doing a loop of the states last Summer. He stopped in my garage for a few days too. As well as many others around the country. Burt did complete the ride and no doubt never would have without the help of many in the club.

I think research is a wise thing to do. It is an investment and commitment without doubt.

I'm headed to San Luis Obisbo to air my Rapide out with a few other Vincents.

It is a dual rally. Vincent and Ariel

A VinAriel rally!

Can hardly wait.

Good Luck
Josh

L

Laplander

OK Laplander; so you do not want to do the work or spend the time and money on resurecting your friends semi scrap parts. No shame in that. There is a steady supply of well sorted out twins available as more and more of the older members fall off their perches. However, do urge your friend to make his pile of bits and pieces available to those who do have the time and skills to do the work. It would be a shame for possibly recoverable parts to end up in land fill. Once you are a member advertising in MPH is free and no one is going to complain if you advertise your friends parts.
The point I was trying to make about my friend was that he WILL NOT sell them. He's a hoarder just like his dad was, and even showing him that he's destroying the bikes by neglect isn't going to get him to come off of them. Everyone and their brother who knew about them tried getting him to sell. He reminds me of an old timer in a neighboring town who had/has a Boss 302. It sat in front of his trailer for years, everyone knew about it and everyone tried to buy it. About 5 years ago I talked to an old friend of mine who runs a body shop back in our old home town and he brought that car up as his Dad had tried several times to buy it, and he said the last time they went by there, tons of stuff had been stolen off the car over the years and he said it was rusted up to the door handles. It blows, but he's the owner so he can do as he sees fit.

Prince Duster

VOC Member
So, do You really want a Vincent, or are you just blowing smoke?

Hold on John my friend!

People come at Vincents in different ways, and I think we should let them find their way; help them in fact. Many on this site bought the bikes before prices rocketed, and some inherited them. I’m very lucky to have enjoyed the latter, but also have paid a full price for another one recently.

It’s a big investment now. I can see Laplander’s and others’ points.

Join the Club, yes. Buy a working bike, with good history, and it should – with a fair wind – be the best bike you’ll own. Yes.

But let’s not come down on people who are looking at spending a big chunk of cash, and feeling a way into things in their own way. And if this site is open to non-members, it surely doesn’t make sense to erect barriers between members and non-members? If it is for members only, then fine. If it’s not, then in the open sections, it shouldn’t matter.

There are bikes out there (is it 11,000 produced post war?) but many are hardly used as so many owners have several in storage. Maybe these could open the market up? So anyone looking to buy a running one is on a learning curve, and that’s before you’ve dialled in the quirks, eccentricities and cost of them.

Out on mine, I meet a lot of riders very keen to talk about Vincents, maybe even buy one. There’s a real thirst to ride and own the bikes. But let’s not put any more barriers in place, when the price is already one such already.

David Lancaster

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Slow down David.. Did it ever occur to you that I may know where a couple of Twins are for sale and simply don't want to waste my time and effort with a "window Shopper"?

L

Laplander

Guys, I don't know why I come across as a window shopper, but I am going to purchase a Vincent. I'm in the buy out stage with my company now and am just trying to get it finalized before I start asking people for more pics or details so I don't have to go take out a loan. If I just have the cash in hand I can move at the speed to make everyone happy, explaining taking out a second mortgage for upwards of 80k would make my local banker think I was losing my mind.

Prince Duster

VOC Member
Sorry, John, no it didn't occur to me. But my point is still I think valid. We're all window shoppers, till we buy... Good luck Laplander.

DL