How many of you are second generation Vincent owners?

Alan J

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hey, Bruce-I've seen bikes not much worse than that "on the road!" I must admit mine is not exactly pristine but it is loved and used, that is the difference!

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Second generation owner of my Shadow. My father bought it in '78 to restore it, paid $500.00 for it. It had been used as an ice racer. It was our first restoration project together, I was 14 when he bought it and very much into dirt bikes having a Yamaha DT125. In fact I'm the one who spotted it in Cycle News and asked him what it was, he had been looking for a Norton Dominator 88 which was the last bike he owned in England before he and my mother emigrated to Canada in '57 and finally to the states in '58. I subscription to Cycle News which was delivered on a Thursday, he called right away and went to Ann Arbor to pick it up on Saturday.
Hopefully my son, now 5, will be interested when he gets a bit older. Right now he likes to climb up on it when he's in the garage or I have it in the drive going or coming from a ride. He climbs on all my bikes but that's one I like seeing him on the most as it was his granddad's favorite.
Steven

p.s. My dad once said to me, when he was fed about something on it, that he was going to sell it and get a new bike. I told that would just cause him no end of grief 'cause I would set fire to it in the drive before I let him sell it.

L

Laplander

Do everything you can to get all the bits that are there. Just about all the spares are available and many things can be rebuilt. The engine can be welded, the rear frame can be retubed (keeping the number on the lug) and there are great engineers around the world that can put things right. It will cost money, but the smile on your face when you start it and have your first run, will make it all worthwhile. Me? yes a long time first generation who followed my Vincent owner brother. Learnt on a Rapide outfit in 1962 and had one ever since. Still on the road and loving it.
At what point though does it become economically unfeasible due to the cost of the restoration labor? And it's not something that happens overnight, I imagine you are looking at least a year long project, and that's if every skilled craftsman you sent stuff to to be fixed hopped on it right away. At this point I need to buy something that is sorted and ready to go as this disease is going to rob me of the ability to drive or ride in a few years.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
All you need is a bit of Vincent DNA to begin with, the Spares Co. will supply everything else. It's like the movie "Sleeper" where the Great Leader is assassinated by a well placed bomb and all that remains is his nose. The hope is to recreate the leader working from just his nose. It doesn't work out in the movie but in the somewhat real world of Vincents this kind of restoration from just a nose is done quite often.

Glen

L

Laplander

Glen, I get what your saying, but besides the obvious cost involved, to me doing something like that is defeating the whole purpose. It reminds me of several years ago when people were recreating valuable muscle cars from a vin tag and title, and maybe a few original pieces, and then passing it off as being a restored car. If you truly believe there is something unique and interesting about a vehicle or motorcycle, because of it's history and the skill of the original craftsmen who made it, then why settle for what is basically a sterilized, modern, and soulless version? I have no problem using new or reproduced parts if something original isn't available, but to me, using that many new parts would be a recreation, not something that came out of the old factory, which is what I am after.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Re the muscle car vin tag mention, after reading about the Carroll Shelby AC Cobra "continuation car " fiasco I have no interest in owning anything Shelby.

Glen

Bogage

VOC Member
I purchased a Ra[ide in fine fettle in April of 2011 and have ridden it for a few thouisand miles since. It started first kick when I got it off the moving truck. I've begun to learn the intricacies in conjunction with the Section members in Southern California. I just hit 50 this year and I wanted a bike I could ride right away. This will cost you more upfront, but, if you do your legwork ahead of the purchase, I think it's less in the long run.

Don't look for a deal, look for a value. Join this club, and any local club you can. Ask questions and don't delay if you see what you want. It's likely someone else will be seeing it too!

Just do it, I have had zero regrets. And I have a plethora of new friends with similar appreciation.

My two cents,
Josh

L

Laplander

Josh, I'm not looking for a deal, I'm looking for the right combination of provenance and condition. I'm going to do it, but I'm not going to jump all nilly willy into something that is going to cost this much. What I am going to do is be very aggressive in looking for one and talking with shop owners and Vincent owners to get what I want instead of just lurking from a distance.

Bogage

VOC Member
Good luck, "The Vincent" site has a couple listed. I found that as soon as I joined a section and began attending meetings that there were Vincents around that members new of. I had already purchased mine so I was of no assistance, but finding out about one before it becomes a bidding war situation is best from my perspective.

Not sure off hand who to suggest you talk with in New Mexico?

I have a friend in Montana who purchased his here in LA 20 years ago.

Mine was in Nebraska...

Good luck, i do reccomend joining this club and some local section if you can. The investment is truly minimal in realtion to the access and support you will receive. Again, my opinion, not mandatory of course.

I can only add that Shadows were around 25G's when I began wanting to obtain one 15 years ago. I ended up (happily) with a Rapide for near twice that and so far the prices have not really been going down...

No regrets,
Josh

Bogage

VOC Member
I should add that it is the strength and foresight of the VOC that has enabled these bike to remain viable as both something to be ridden as well as appreciated for their inherent engineering beauty. Without parts and manuels and general support, it would be quite a challenge to be sure.

I have a great appreciation for the VOC and it's members!