How many motorcycles get stolen from racetracks?

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Many years ago, I had my helmet and goggle stolen from a bike dealership when I left the bike for a service. Absolutely no compensation. Now I take calculated risks. Secure the bike as best I can and carry helmet etc. Sometimes a total PITA but then riding home without a helmet can cost more than a helmet. Harvey can tell anyone who cares to listen how easily and quickly a bike can be stolen.

vibrac

VOC Member
A tracker is a good idea except you cannot easily transfer it between bikes
No good anyway where I live no mobile signal ( at least it's peaceful) and hoods can't plant one on my bike to track me home as they would loose the signal!

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
I come at this from a different angle. In 2015 our business had 12 bikes stolen in a burglary. They were all targeted and were 11 BMW S1000 and one KTM RC8, all desirable track bikes.
Over the years, 6 have been recovered and everyone had been used for racing and track days. Most had there frame numbers erased or altered. Some had been bought from people met at race tracks.
There is guidance that scrutineers must check frame numbers against lists of stolen bikes, but our experience suggests that this rarely happens or is ineffective.
What is clear to me is that bike thieves frequent meetings to both steal bikes and to sell them.
I think race organisers should take a much more responsible attitude to stolen bikes and close down race meetings as golden opportunities for these scum.
Rant over!
Cheers Bill

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Did you see it on the News from Kent, 2 Bastards forced the garage door up, And jammed it open a few feet
with the Dustbin, And dragged a Trail type bike and a kids motor bike out, Put the Kids bike in the back of a car,
And one of them rode the bigger bike away at 3.30 pm.
Don't leave the dustbin out and lock your bikes up even in the garage, Just to make it harder ?.

G

Graham Smith

Someone once told me that motorcycle theft is rife in motocross circles too.

I can't imagine it would be too difficult for all organisers of events to check engine and frame numbers of all bikes entered for an event.

Any that don't match or have been tampered with don't get to compete.

Simple.

G

Graham Smith

Did you see it on the News from Kent, 2 Bastards forced the garage door up, And jammed it open a few feet
with the Dustbin, And dragged a Trail type bike and a kids motor bike out, Put the Kids bike in the back of a car,
And one of them rode the bigger bike away at 3.30 pm.
Don't leave the dustbin out and lock your bikes up even in the garage, Just to make it harder ?.

Yes, I saw that @Bill Thomas.

The best way to protect your bike is to make sure no-one knows it's there.

vibrac

VOC Member
I must say in Vintage Racing (as I still call BHR) we never had any problems for years but there was some reports of pilfering after the scooters arrived but the last few seasons I have not had a problem
It is difficult when you have been working on the bikes and a race is called for one bike and all want to watch and time is short.