F: Frame How long is FT33?

eharris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello all,

I am re-assembling my B Rapide and the FT33 through the RFM pivot seems too long as the nuts on the outside of FT106 and FT108 are nearly down to the end of the thread. There's about 3/8" spare thread stcking out after the nut on the left and nearly 1/2" on the right.

The length over the footrest support plates is 10 and 1/8" and the FT33 I have is 12" long.

The bike previously had a chair on it, so could my Dad have fitted a longer FT33 (I notice there's a different one listed for the Series D) to attach the lower rear sidecar mount?

I can't find another FT33 in the spares pile, and it seems unlike my Dad to have thrown it away, given all the broken bits he seems to have kept!

Cheers,

Ed.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
The FT33 is longer when using a chair, as the bolt goes though the triangle lower sidecar mount. So at least 1/4" longer

Neil

eharris

VOC Member
The FT33 is longer when using a chair, as the bolt goes though the triangle lower sidecar mount. So at least 1/4" longer

Neil
Thanks, I was beginning to suspect that. Are they listed in the original spares list (I don't have one to hand at the moment)?

Now I think I know what's going on I see that the triangle sidecar mount has the part number FT170, but I fail to see any reference to a longer FT33. Here for example.

Unfortunately the Spares Co. have what I hope are "normal" FT33 "on order".

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi Ed
If my memory is correct Ian who was running the Spares Co' at the time got the longer FT33 made up when my father put a chair on his Comet.

Neil

eharris

VOC Member
The dimensions are in the Riders Handbook on page 3 or 4 or thereabouts.

Robin.
That’s the ”Sidecar Mounting Details” that confirms my measurement of 10 and 1/8” over the footrest support plates, but doesn’t specify the actual length of FT33. Given that it’s not a complicated part, I suspect that it was just supplied with the chair or a special from the Spares Co. at the time.

It has just been “one of those things” that slows you down when your not completely sure that you have all the parts. I spent some time checking that I was using the correct collection of spacers to mount the footrest plates, and finally came to the conclusion that it was actually FT33 that was too long and not that I’d missed something.

I think it should be about 11 and 1/4” long as the nuts are 1/2” deep.

vibrac

VOC Member
It's such an easy component to make and with stainless bar so cheap I guess there are many variations