Misc: Everything Else how easy is it time the mag on shadow

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Perhaps all you need is to find a way of setting 4 degrees btdc easily and repeatedly then you could time at full advance and also do the valve timing (equal opening)as well:rolleyes:
Did someone have a hole in the flywheels a rod and a removable plug?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You could even do it by eye, Looking down the plug hole, I bet it would not be far out.
I would tend to set an ATD at retarded, A knat's before TDC, Because some ATD's are a bit worn.
I would not use one again for myself, I have either "D" distributor or Manual Advance/Retard or Electric Ign'.
Cheers Bill.

John Cone

VOC Member
Picture 007.jpg

This is my home made tool, it has two notches, one TDC the other 38 degrees BTDC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
I timed the mag and the bike started then it it will not start now so back to trying to work out what I might have done wrong great spark on both plugs have petrol etc but dammed if the bike will start again thank you all for the tips etc.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I timed the mag and the bike started then it will not start now so back to trying to work out what I might have done wrong great spark on both plugs have petrol etc but damned if the bike will start again thank you all for the tips etc.
Have you re-checked the timing? Could it have slipped?

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
not yet i only carer not a engineer and I will get around to checking it next week if it dry as I work in cramped damp shed I am thinking of just rolling the bike to the bottom of the garden and just putting a cover over it and let it stay there until it rots as I had so many problems with it when I just want to ride it.
The situation is I cannot sell the bike as I would never get another Vincent so it is not eating any thing so it may have be mothballed for when ever as I have a triumph twin (much easier bike to work on) to put back on the road to ride.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Sounds like you are not working in ideal conditions. It is easy to get despondent when you have put in a lot of time and don't get a good result. From things you said in earlier posts the bike needs some attention anyway so don't rush it, do it properly. A Triumph may be easier to work on than a Vincent but it won't ride like a Vincent that you have got going properly. (Yes I have got a bias but I have also owned and ridden Triumphs.)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I agree with Eddy, Could have slipped, I don't like that fitting, I always stuff a rag inside the tapper, With a screw driver, To try to clean the oil out, Just before fitting.
As I said before, You can check by eye, Looking down the plug hole, To see the piston just before TDC fully retarded, Just check it's on the right cylinder, Then turn the engine over and check on the other cylinder.
Just to make sure you are on the right cylinder, Take all 4 of the valve caps off, And the cylinder you are checking at TDC, Both the pushrods should be able to turn with your fingers, ie Compression stroke.
The trouble with not doing it for another year, It might not as good as now, The petrol will have gone off a bit,
And some oil may seep down and what we call wet sump, A lot of our bikes do it over Winter.
That can make it hard to start, Has anybody told you about that, Might be worth checking now ?.
Good Luck, Bill.