How do you restore a Vincent damper.

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
What are the shortcomings of the standard job and how are they best overcome?

Or just tell me where the information is to be found.

Ernie

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I outlined how I do it in MPH September or October Grey Flash Diary with references to older articles

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
About restoring the original dampers . If all else is usable the two changes for more modern damping and sealing are to replace the small rubber o rings with Viton o rings , and switch to modern tele fork fluid of 30/40 weight . Sid .

b'knighted

VOC Member
Don't forget the Paul Ennis trick of inserting a bit of bubble wrap to compensate for the difference in total volume of the cylinder full of oil with the rod either in (bubble wrap compressed) or out (bubble wrap expanded).

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
many years ago Ted Davis reccomended using automatic transmission fluid to refill vincent dampers-works real well for me. Also it's cheap to buy and better yet it's available almost anywhere.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
There is a simple trick to eliminating the undamped float after filling I stumbled upon . I wrote up the entire process years ago , I'll see if Roger will post it as written , results in full damping full length . Tells all . Sid .

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
My article was in MPH Oct 05, based, as vibracs, on Peter Hendra's idea from about 50 years ago. (My dampers are still oil tight and working well after 7 years.)
Paul.

vibrac

VOC Member
My article was in MPH Oct 05, based, as vibracs, on Peter Hendra's idea from about 50 years ago. (My dampers are still oil tight and working well after 7 years.)
Paul.

Yes I never met Peter but recirculating the oil with a one way valve in an existing design strait jacket is very clever

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . I earlier mentioned a trick to eliminate the free float in the damper once it's rebuilt , as its being filled . I put the fluid in a clear pint plastic bottle with pointed spout that fits the filler plug opening snugly . The clear bottle allows you to see the air bubbles exit
As the new oil is squeezed in , the damper body is pulled longer as this is done , it's upper eye in your vice . The instructions as written say to close nearly all the way , before the plug is tightened . THAT'S THE TRICK ! So simple but evaded me . I place a quarter inch nut between the upper eye body D8 and the damper top D13 so that the rod can't enter FULLY when compressed firmly by that distance . This leaves a bit more inside , unexpelled , when the plug is tightened . Seems weird I know but that's the answer . Work it a few strokes and then let hang overnite by the upper eye To settle down . Next day pump it a few more times . Still has the designed in soft movement if moved slowly , stiffens up if moved quickly but the free float is gone .
You can add a third wiper lip by slipping on another on the shaft beneath the upper brass piece D13 , a Parker Stat o seal
600- 011- 7/16 . Of course Viton O rings and telefork fluid , 30-40 wt . , I add a squirt of Hypoid or 50 wt. motor oil myself .