How Do You Do This?

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
wtf.jpg
How did that happen? Perhaps he missed the post about two finger braking?
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
he was going sideways just before the front brake came on. But honestly these mono track computers alterable from the pits are so far from the real world what would motorcyclists like us know?
I am still reeling from learning that they are allowed a wet and a dry motorcycle and can change over during a race! what ever happened to racing improves the breed? , thank heavens for the TT

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
he was going sideways just before the front brake came on. But honestly these mono track computers alterable from the pits are so far from the real world what would motorcyclists like us know?
I am still reeling from learning that they are allowed a wet and a dry motorcycle and can change over during a race! what ever happened to racing improves the breed? , thank heavens for the TT
The rider doing the somersault at the World Superbike meeting at Magny-Cours was British rider Gino Rea. The crash was in qualifying and Gino was still able to race the next day albeit well battered and bruised. He finished 7th in the race despite having an off track excursion! I think the mechanics deserve a medal for being able to rebuild the crashed bikes.
I don't think that any form of motorcycle road racing allows the motorcycle to be altered electronically from the pits during a race and as far as I know they aren't allowed any means of communicating with the rider other than a pit board.
World Superbike rules don't allow a change of bikes during a race. The races are flag to flag unless the race is red flagged due to an incident such as a big crash. If the weather conditions change the race is not stopped but they can come in and change tyres. It happened a few meetings ago and teams that had sorted out how to change wheels quickly gained time. (The changes were definitely not as quick as the sub 3 second changes in F1 car racing.)
At MotoGP meetings the MotoGP class are allowed to change bikes if weather conditions change. A flag goes out to indicate that they can come in and change bikes if they wish as long as they go out on different tyres. e.g. Rain tyres if they were on slicks and vice versa. I think that in this instance the rule makers have completely lost the plot and it is more about trying to keep to TV schedules. (I can't envisage a horse race where the jockey comes in and changes horses because the going has gone from firm to soft!)
The Moto2 and Moto3 classes are not allowed to change bikes.

chair-man

Active Forum User
VOC Member
At MotoGP meetings the MotoGP class are allowed to change bikes if weather conditions change. A flag goes out to indicate that they can come in and change bikes if they wish as long as they go out on different tyres. e.g. Rain tyres if they were on slicks and vice versa.
The Moto2 and Moto3 classes are not allowed to change bikes.
Eddy, I believe the rules have changed this year to allow a rider to change bikes and use the same type of tyre on the second bike i.e. slick to slick or wet to wet - Cal Cruchlow did this earlier this year & this was clarified by ecommentators, as long as the white flag is out or it was declared a wet race before the start. Ian.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Eddy, I believe the rules have changed this year to allow a rider to change bikes and use the same type of tyre on the second bike i.e. slick to slick or wet to wet - Cal Crutchlow did this earlier this year & this was clarified by commentators, as long as the white flag is out or it was declared a wet race before the start. Ian.

Dear Ian,
Thanks for the reply.
I've posted a clip from the FIM regs for MotoGP. This was updated in September of this year but reads the same as the previous edition.
Reg: 1.20.2 says that the rider can come in and change machines and doesn't actually mention anything about the type of tyre on the machine they go back out on. Rules may be open to interpretation in different ways if they are not clearly defined. I think the original intention was to allow a machine change to one with tyres appropriate for the changed track conditions. As the rule reads here it would appear they can change what they like so you are probably correct. Doesn't seem right to me to be able to use a different machine and as Vibrac said, whatever happened to "racing improves the breed".

upload_2015-10-8_14-19-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-8_14-3-33.png
    upload_2015-10-8_14-3-33.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 4

vibrac

VOC Member
Don't think Ernie Lyons had wets on his Triumph ridged T100 prototype (with a sprung hub?) when he won the Manx in 46 in torrential rain a white flag meant something rather different then-actually thinking about it perhaps it still does.

chair-man

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dear Ian,
Thanks for the reply.
I've posted a clip from the FIM regs for MotoGP. This was updated in September of this year but reads the same as the previous edition.
Reg: 1.20.2 says that the rider can come in and change machines and doesn't actually mention anything about the type of tyre on the machine they go back out on. Rules may be open to interpretation in different ways if they are not clearly defined. I think the original intention was to allow a machine change to one with tyres appropriate for the changed track conditions. As the rule reads here it would appear they can change what they like so you are probably correct. Doesn't seem right to me to be able to use a different machine and as Vibrac said, whatever happened to "racing improves the breed".

View attachment 13440
Thanks Eddie, as you say, rules are open to interpretation, but this is the first year I've seen them actually use the same type of tyres on the second machine (and previous years they've been adamant that they had to use a different type. I too don't agree with it, but 'rules is rules' and you use them to your best advantage - and Bradley Smith showed that it's not necessary to change when he stayed out on slicks to eventually take 2nd :) when everyone else changed . . . . . and then had to change back when it dried o_O. Ian.