How did you guys choose the model of Vincent you bought?

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It was 1970 and no one wanted a clapped out Comet. All my mates wanted to do was smear themselves on the scenery with a $999.00 Kawasaki 500 triple.

vibrac

VOC Member
as it was £65 I did not even ask, it had Vincent on the tank and a twin engine did I mind it was in blue paint?
what do you think?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I was looking for a twin in early 1993 and my Rapide was the first one in my price range. Bought it needing a full rebuild, but that was what I was after. As a rider I am not bothered about Rapide versus shadow as they are all rebuilt to the same internally now days.

I remember reading somewhere that shadows were painted because they used crankcases that we're visually flawed and the paint would hide it. Not sure if it's true, but it's a good way to wind up shadow owners. I actually prefer the engine unpainted as to me it's easier to keep looking good.

It all depends what you are going to use the bike for. For rallying and touring I prefer the Rapide as I have fitted a large carrier and panniers. For back lane riding I prefer my series A Comet.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
When I was a kid my dad had 2 Vincents, first a B Rapide, which he later traded in for a '51 C Rapide. My mum says when he came back from Jack Surtees shop with the C, my sister and I cried because we wanted the HRD back !! My first Vincent was a '51 C Rapide, because that was the first one I found for sale locally in 1965. But when I saw The Fast Lady at the Hand in Hand pub, I fell in love with the early B look. So when my mate Roger Kirby offered me a set of early B crankcases and covers for £4 in 1967, I bought them and built up my B Rapide, which I still have and love. Here's the FAST LADY in it's current guise, only real change from 1966 is probably the disc brakes !!
PieampPint29-91311_zpsed0cae41.jpg

Rob H

VOC Member
I was looking for a twin in early 1993 and my Rapide was the first one in my price range. Bought it needing a full rebuild, but that was what I was after. As a rider I am not bothered about Rapide versus shadow as they are all rebuilt to the same internally now days.

I agree probably no difference in real on the road perfomance these days, unless you want the kudos of owning a shadow which there will be a premium. If you are after a twin the choice wuld be between B,C and D which all have different look.

Having said that it is often what falls into your lap so to speak

carlm

Non-VOC Member
I was looking for a twin in early 1993...
Nope. Its 100%. Twins come in A,B, C, or D and Rapide, Shadow, Knight, Prince or Lightning. What he found was a Rapide. Check thevincent.com and you'll find a single for 25 grand and twins from 50 to 85. That seems to me to be quite a few Vins for sale all at the same time. So, "for a limited time only" as they say, you've actually got a pretty good choice. Good luck finding a Knight or a Prince, and just forget about a Lightning.

Last edited:

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
If i was a first buyer of a vincent , looking a the vincent.com and if I lived in America I would buy the Rapide from Canada it looks a good honest bike, blow the expence give the cat another goldfish, you only live once.

Last edited: