How did you guys choose the model of Vincent you bought?

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In 1974, I wanted a Shadow, the wife insisted on a new bike. Slater Brothers were advertising "New" and fully recon Eglis. Not really what either of us wanted and ticked non of the boxes for what we needed, but it's done everything we've asked of it, and it's 40 next year.

H

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
With regards to the Shadow it was the one that was for sale semi-locally and my father just went for it. It said Vincent on the cases so he bought it and left it to me. With regards to the Comet I had always wanted one to complement the Shadow, that and a Rapide. Anyway, I was sitting in Uzebekistan before going into Afghanistan with the army in early 2002 when a basket case Rapide was for sale on The Vincent.com I couldn't get in touch with the seller fast enough, it was outrageously cheap at around $8000.00. Anyway when I finally did get home I had some money saved up and some seperation pay due me and I decided I would buy two things, a supercharger for my MGB GT and the first Vincent I could afford that came up for sale. That's how I ended up with my Comet. I haven't regretted it. Soemtimes I just head out into the garage to just look at them or just sit on them to go vroom-vroom. I don't understand why people need drugs when there are motorcycles about.
Steven

carlm

Non-VOC Member
1. I think there are more than usual. Others may disagree.
2. Rarity.
3. Outrageously expensive.

Last edited:

Bogage

VOC Member
If you have been reading you will note that for the most part a twin is a twin and a single is a single. A Rapide is almost half what a Shadow is and they are comporable in terms of performance depending on cams, etc.

If you have been researching you will see quite easily that the volume of bike dropped in terms of number of "D" series machines.

Also, you will see that there were few true Lightnings. It is simply a supply and demand situation.

A friend in my section has a "B" Shadow and a Prince. Both rare birds. We rode about 200 miles up the coast from San Luis Obispo to Ragged Point here in Cali. I was on my Rapide with a "B" Shadow, an Earls Court "C" Shadow, and Bill Easter's legendary 52' Shadow and I was not at all ashamed to be on a Rapide.

One thing I will say, the only thing better than the sound of a Vincent running 75-80 down the road is 2, 3, 4 or more running together down the road!

At gas stations folks are beside themselves when they see so many rare machine in one place...

And not in a musuem, but on the highway!

Josh

orwollma

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
So the amount of bikes on thevincent.com is HIGHER than normal? Why would you say for get about a Knight, Prince or Lightning? Are there never any that come up for sale anymore? If they do come up, where would they be in relation to the other models as far as price?

The VOC Spares Co. also has several bikes on consignment now including a D Rapide with Black Knight enclosures added.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Lightnings tend to be in the million$ plus range when they do come up for sale. I don't think you need to buy one of those to have the Vincent experience. In fact, for people who do spend over one million $ for a motorcycle, how likely is it that they will ride it, tour with it and really get some use from it?
When I was looking to purchase a twin in 2003, Rapides were in the 18,000 to 25,000 US$ range. Shadows were about 5K more. Now it seems Shadows are roughly double the price of a Rapide. That is a lot to pay for a name and some black paint, but obviously people are willing to do so.
A club member here recently invested over 100k in a cosmetically nice Shadow, then spent about 25k more to make it into a good runner. He already own a couple of Rapides and a Comet or three. He was grumbling about the cost of the Shadow then reasoned, " At least now when they ask if it is a G.D. Black Shadow, I can say, YES, IT IS!"
If you want a bike to ride, get one that is in the best mechanical condition possible. If your budget is stretched to purchase a Vincent, go for mechanical condition over rarity, matched numbers etc. That way you should have a bike that can do some miles for you right away.
If it is more an investment based purchase, then I dont know, one of the more rare models or at least a matchin numbers bike could go up more in value as a %than a mismatched Rapide or Comet.
On the other hand we might be at the Zenith of prices now and the lower priced models might not have quite so far to fall?

Glen

Last edited:

Bogage

VOC Member
I meant that Rapides are half as much in cost of course.

I would not say that "The Vincent" prices are out of line. You may even be able to negotiate somewhat if you do so with tact.

There are many "nosepickers" who want a Vincent, but do not truly intend on dropping what is required to obtain one.

Keep in mind that there are no Vincent service centers and while they are quite reliable once fettled. The fettling can be trying and requires much patience and focus. Not to mention some support from the members of the VOC and local section members as well.

Mr. Easter retimed my Rapide on Saturday by eye! I would not have done this until I saw it done first. The timing had slipped slightly and the bike would not start.

The experiences of previous and current owners is without compare, and you will see that more wonce you are able to access the full resource that the VOC can provide. Mechanical aptitude will not hurt the experience.

They (we) provide an incalculable value to the continued enjoyment of these amazing machines.

Josh

Retime.jpg

There's Bill, Doris, and me. Greg McBride is there for moral support. Can't seem to get a decent quality shot to upload.

davidd

VOC Member
A Black Lightning sells for more than Brough SS100? REALLY?!?

Prices are often controlled by supply and demand. The bathing suit bike sold for $1.2 million a few years ago and it doubled the prices for Lightnings. There were only 40 or so Lightning bikes manufactured, so you will not find a deal anywhere. There were 1500 Shadows built, so they now sell for a premium. But, popularity also has its place. A "D" Shadow is a bargain and a "B" Shadow is at a premium.

The Brough market is somewhat volatile. It is a clique market and there are not many players. You need quite a lot of money to enter. Most Broughs are owned by people who are not holding the Brough as a major asset. They can sell when they wish. I know of 5 Broughs for sale right now and it has frozen the market a bit. It is a small blip, but right now there is a bigger supply for a very small demand.

The Vincent has the advantage that it is a bike you can ride. The Brough is not in this class anymore. It is a pure collectors bike. The Vincent can do both, which is why it has remained such a sought after classic.

It would seem to me that any twin that you were happy with would provide you with a very genuine Vincent experience. If you decide you want to try some other experience within the marque you have the very same platform the Phil Irving and Phil Vincent had.

David