• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

How did you guys choose the model of Vincent you bought?

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
It was 1970 and no one wanted a clapped out Comet. All my mates wanted to do was smear themselves on the scenery with a $999.00 Kawasaki 500 triple.

vibrac

VOC Member
as it was £65 I did not even ask, it had Vincent on the tank and a twin engine did I mind it was in blue paint?
what do you think?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Website Moderator
I was looking for a twin in early 1993 and my Rapide was the first one in my price range. Bought it needing a full rebuild, but that was what I was after. As a rider I am not bothered about Rapide versus shadow as they are all rebuilt to the same internally now days.

I remember reading somewhere that shadows were painted because they used crankcases that we're visually flawed and the paint would hide it. Not sure if it's true, but it's a good way to wind up shadow owners. I actually prefer the engine unpainted as to me it's easier to keep looking good.

It all depends what you are going to use the bike for. For rallying and touring I prefer the Rapide as I have fitted a large carrier and panniers. For back lane riding I prefer my series A Comet.

A-BCD

VOC Member
When I was a kid my dad had 2 Vincents, first a B Rapide, which he later traded in for a '51 C Rapide. My mum says when he came back from Jack Surtees shop with the C, my sister and I cried because we wanted the HRD back !! My first Vincent was a '51 C Rapide, because that was the first one I found for sale locally in 1965. But when I saw The Fast Lady at the Hand in Hand pub, I fell in love with the early B look. So when my mate Roger Kirby offered me a set of early B crankcases and covers for £4 in 1967, I bought them and built up my B Rapide, which I still have and love. Here's the FAST LADY in it's current guise, only real change from 1966 is probably the disc brakes !!
PieampPint29-91311_zpsed0cae41.jpg

Rob H

VOC Member
I was looking for a twin in early 1993 and my Rapide was the first one in my price range. Bought it needing a full rebuild, but that was what I was after. As a rider I am not bothered about Rapide versus shadow as they are all rebuilt to the same internally now days.

I agree probably no difference in real on the road perfomance these days, unless you want the kudos of owning a shadow which there will be a premium. If you are after a twin the choice wuld be between B,C and D which all have different look.

Having said that it is often what falls into your lap so to speak

carlm

Non-VOC Member
I was looking for a twin in early 1993...
Nope. Its 100%. Twins come in A,B, C, or D and Rapide, Shadow, Knight, Prince or Lightning. What he found was a Rapide. Check thevincent.com and you'll find a single for 25 grand and twins from 50 to 85. That seems to me to be quite a few Vins for sale all at the same time. So, "for a limited time only" as they say, you've actually got a pretty good choice. Good luck finding a Knight or a Prince, and just forget about a Lightning.

Last edited:

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
If i was a first buyer of a vincent , looking a the vincent.com and if I lived in America I would buy the Rapide from Canada it looks a good honest bike, blow the expence give the cat another goldfish, you only live once.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.