Hotels on the "blue" tube line, close to Russell Square

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Can anyone suggest a hotel on the "blue" tube line that travels from Heathrow, hopefully close to Russell Square?.. We will be in London August 24th-31 2014...

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
A direct route from Heathrow with as short a trip as possible that will leave us in a good place from which to explore & wander. My wife stayed in one of the hotels close to here a few years ago.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
A direct route from Heathrow with as short a trip as possible ...
If you want a short trip you don't want to take the Underground in from Heathrow. The Heathrow Express gets you to Paddington station in only ~15 minutes (vs. the better part of a crowded hour on the Underground), with train that run every 15 min. as well. You'll almost certainly be landing in the morning, which means you would be on the Piccadilly Line headed into central London at rush hour in a car that will be jammed to the gills with commuters. Not much fun with people tripping over you and your luggage. Take a look at:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/transport-and-directions/trains/heathrow-express

G

Graham Smith

Magnetoman's right. Sally and I did that journey on the tube with luggage about 15 years ago after a flight from the US. Never again.

It was a nightmare, and it wasn't because I wasn't used to London, as I used to work in Central London at the time.

highbury731

VOC Member
There is a large hotel on Guilford St 100m from Russell Sq, can't remember the name but will pass that way some time soon. You could also try Guilford House Hotel, I found it on Google so don't know it

Magnetoman

VOC Member
We arrive on a Sunday morning, commuter traffic should be lighter
That's true, but because there are fewer people to transport on Sundays the Underground runs less often so the cars can still end up crowded.

Short of a helicopter and a motorcycle I've taken every mode of transportation in from Heathrow, and by far the best is the Heathrow Express. It's so much better than anything else (Underground, bus, taxi, rental car,...) that when my host on one trip provided a chauffeured limousine I insisted the driver pick me up at Paddington instead of Heathrow. Sitting for hours in traffic in the back of a limousine is still sitting for hours.