HB: Handlebars Horn earthing

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think the relay is not only about burning contacts etc perhaps it also offers a way to take the horn switch away from the:
a short= horn operation= fire scenario which the modern earthed horn live wire switch avoids.
(sorry I have been reading about fires by Taff the Horn in an old MPH!)

oexing

VOC Member
The Lucas Wire Fire is another topic, should only ever happen when no decent fuse system is included in the harness - rare on classics. So you better work out some branches of fused connections in the harness design, sizes of fuses depending on wire gauges in each branch. So even in case of a short the fuse will go first before one wire burns. A main fuse behind the battery with , say, max. 15 or 20 amps (12 or 6 V) may prevent big detonations for sure.

Vic

SteveF

Non-VOC Member
I've given up entirely on using any part of the frame as an earth return. I've added a separate ground cable to all parts and use that instead. The only use of the engine/frame is for the ignition which can't be avoided. I now have totally reliable electrics and recommend this as an approach. As you might imagine, I don't care very much about originality. :)

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Mine is the same, earth wire to everything, I have drilled and tapped the inner end of one of the headlamp mounting bolts and use this as the front earth distribution point, obviously with a main wire back to the frame earthing point.