PR: Proprietary Items Horn Distance Piece (spacer) FT175

Texas John

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Could someone provide to me the dimensions of the Horn Distance Piece (spacer) FT175?
And is it made of aluminum or steel (and plating info, perhaps), please?

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
There are several old posts that indicate that it is either 3/4 long x 7/8 OD or it is 7/8 long x 3/4 OD. I would take long to be height or thickness of the spacer/distance piece.

davidd

VOC Member
Comet Horn Mount.PNG

From Obscure Components MPH 526

David

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
Hi David. Thank you, but I presume there is some difference between FT175 on Twins and FT175/1 for the Comet and Twins with sidecar. Perhaps the 7/8 OD is the same, but the /1 total length (height) is 5/8 including the step, which is less than the amount (inconsistently) given for the FT175. And do both have the step as shown for FT175/1 above?

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The ones I've seen are alloy or cad.-plated steel. The dimensions are 3/8" i.d. x 7/8" o.d. x 3/4" width. A couple of points here; the horn on Twins is mounted with "LUCAS" and terminals at 12'clock and the reinforcing on the bracket is innermost. If using a later model horn with the large central adjuster on the back make the spacer 1/8" wider for clearance.

davidd

VOC Member
I purchased the parts from Coventry, so I did not fabricate them.

The FT175 is for use on the solo twin footrest. One only required as the horn is mounted to a plate.

The FT175/1 is used on the solo Comet UFM rear sidecar lug. Despite it taking the place of the sidecar support it is listed as "Use with sidecar only" Two are required as it is not a plate mounting, but mounted on the sidecar lug on the rear of the UFM. I assume the warning for "sidecar use only" is incorrect.

The FT175/2 also listed as "Use with sidecar only" but it is a single item presumably for plate mount and used on all singles and twins with sidecars.

David

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
The ones I've seen are alloy or cad.-plated steel. The dimensions are 3/8" i.d. x 7/8" o.d. x 3/4" width. A couple of points here; the horn on Twins is mounted with "LUCAS" and terminals at 12'clock and the reinforcing on the bracket is innermost. If using a later model horn with the large central adjuster on the back make the spacer 1/8" wider for clearance.
That's the detail I was hoping for.
Thank you.
John

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
David
That's even more detail that will hopefully be helpful in the future.
Thank you.
John