Honda Clutch Installation.

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,

I am looking to solve a small problem I am having with my new Honda clutch.

The clutch is attached to the main shaft and when there is no plates in and neutral selected the rear wheel spins fine. As soon as I place the plates in and begin to tighten the four bolts the plates bind up.

I am struggling this evening to think the issue through and really want to get the bike on the road and run before the NA rally this summer in Montana.

Cheers,

Eugene.

nkt267

VOC Member
To be honest isn't that what they are supposed to do? Or do you mean that when the clutch is installed and you pull the lever the clutch is not releasing?
Or when you tighten the clutch and the gears are in neutral the rear wheel wont spin?

vibrac

VOC Member
A little more clarity gentlemen and I am sure a wise soul will help you here

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Dumb question - you do have the clutch push rod in place and have ensured its the correct length?????

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Sorry for not being that clear.

The plates are on and the bolts nipped up per the instructions.

Gear box neutral and wheel not freely spinning.

Martin rod is and has had some shaving of length.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Eugene, I have not had one myself, But if you go into "search" on this Forum ,There is lots of info, Good Luck, Bill.

nkt267

VOC Member
Are you sure you're not just feeling the drag of the gearbox?
When the plates are not in the main shaft is free to rotate with the rest of the gears. Have you tried to start the bike and see if the gears engage without too much trouble.
On my bike the rear wheel will only rotate about 1/2 to 3/4 turn when in neutral before stopping..john

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just a thought, Did some one say, The chain is too close to the rear sometimes and needs to be spaced out, The chain was out of line ?. Cheers Bill.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Just wanted to update the folks in this feed.

I took the bike to Robert watsons to get some local assistance.

We found that the clutch supplied from conways was missing a friction disc. It was also supplied with used friction discs

I had taken up a little too much end play on the main shaft. The washer I used was incorrect and too wide.

So once the end float was rectified and a new friction disc found the clutching issues were resolved.

Happy to say my bike can now be run in and fetteled as necessary.

vibrac

VOC Member
Is there some problems with Conway's all we seem to get is an answer phone,is there a golden hour to phone?