Holding Frame

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Ed, If the handle in the picture was turned round, the chainguard bracket would be right for a comet but the top brackets would be right for a twin, pointing backwards. I repeat, the chainguard bracket should be welded to the other stay, pointing in the same direction as the top brackets. Sorry to be such a nitpicker but if someone uses the photo for guidance they'll get it wrong. Cheers, Stu.
Dear Stu,
I think that is what I said. Hmmm. The tabs in the photo all point forward. If it was turned around so that they all pointed backwards as standard the chainguard tab is correct for a Comet.

I only reversed the lifting handle on my Rapide because I wanted the hinge tabs pointing forward so the handle was further back to miss the seat on full bump. This put the chainguard tab on the wrong side which is why I had to weld it back to the right hand side.
MO37

Last edited:

stu spalding

VOC Member
The top mountings and chainguard mounting on a twin point backwards, on a Comet they point forwards. I repeat, the chainguard bracket should be on the other stay. Cheers, Stu.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The mudguard blade seems to signify that the RFM is set up for a twin, when you look at the rear chain indent on the blade it is on the RHS, it would seem that the lifting handle has been fitted in the Comet/Meteor position to gain additional clearance when the suspension is on full bump, but to do that you have to weld an additional chain guard bracket on the RHS of the FT22AS, it would appear that that has been done, whilst also leaving the original chain guard tab, that is now on the LHS as it should be on a single.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I still prefer mine, You can take the front off, Or the back off, Even sit on it !, And not get Splinters.
Cheers Bill.
003.JPG

powella

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for all the replies - the main purpose of the photo of the RFM was to show the same frame could be used in different ways.
The RFM photo`s were just a lash - up with no bolt through the lower mudguard fixing nor any mudguard stays. Will digest forwards or backwards pointing lugs after the next glass !

Regards Alan.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Frames lent to me by member of Victorian section for as long as I needed I was able to assemble front and rear even has castor wheels to move about as needed

Attachments

• IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    310.7 KB · Views: 45

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Nice job Shane, Always good to see other blokes ideas.
I have a fixed wood Bike Lift/Bench in the Special Room, And after fitting the Rear Frame/Top tube etc,
With my Hobby Horse !, I found moving the thing forward, The front overhang was just right for building the forks, Did not plan it , But was handy.
I also thought seeing it like a Bike would get me to finish the Engine, Well that didn't work !!, Too lazy !!.
Cheers Bill.