Holding Frame

powella

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I`m sure the Factory had fixtures like this ( but not in timber ) , and was most useful as a " third hand ".
Dimensions are self explanatory and the timber can be any size .
Old bolts were used for locating dowels when the frame need moving from say wheel to RFM.
wheel 010.jpg
wheel 011.jpg
wheel 009.jpg
wheel 008.jpg
wheel 005.jpg
wheel 004.jpg

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
A neat fixture. I hope you mounted the chainguard before you drilled any holes in the rear mudguard. I'm probably telling Grandma to suck eggs, but as Captain Mainwaring used to say; "you must watch these things."

vibrac

VOC Member
Perhaps that should be positioned on the wrong side I do not have a parts list with me but I believe the lifting handle bracket is common to comet and twin (and open D) and is turned round to suit each machine and the different chainguards

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Tim, both my twin lifting handles have the chainguard bracket and the top mounting brackets pointing to the rear. The one in the photo is wrong. Cheers, Stu.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I think that the problem might be that if one turns the lifting handle round, the upper handle part will then be in front of the hinge and might hit the rear of the saddle. Others who have tried this will say whether this actually happens or whether one just gets away with it.

vibrac

VOC Member
IF Eddie Stevens says its just turned round ( KTB P38) thats good enough for me. I have no idea where my comet or twins rear lifting handle originally fitted !
As I say a glance at the parts list table will prove the point I just cant find mine at the moment

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
IF Eddie Stevens says its just turned round ( KTB P38) thats good enough for me. I have no idea where my comet or twins rear lifting handle originally fitted !
As I say a glance at the parts list table will prove the point I just cant find mine at the moment
If you look at parts drawing MO37 the two tabs at the hinge and the tab for the chainguard lower down on the right all point backwards. In the spares list FT22AS is listed for Rapide, Shadow, Comet and Meteor.
I have a monoshock rear suspension unit and the 3" longer seat so I turned the handle around to take advantage of a little more suspension travel without the handle hitting the rear of the seat. I had to weld a new chainguard tab to the right hand side of the lifting handle. If the handle shown in the photograph of post # 1 was turned around the tabs would all point backwards and the chainguard tab would be on the left hand side and correct for a Comet. It was made for a Comet unless someone has previously removed the chainguard tab and moved it to the other side.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Ed, If the handle in the picture was turned round, the chainguard bracket would be right for a comet but the top brackets would be right for a twin, pointing backwards. I repeat, the chainguard bracket should be welded to the other stay, pointing in the same direction as the top brackets. Sorry to be such a nitpicker but if someone uses the photo for guidance they'll get it wrong. Cheers, Stu.