Hoarding of Vincent Parts? Come On - Own Up!

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A "Horder" is someone who is going to live forever.........
That's not true. For years, a guy in town horded every BSA singles part he could get his hands on. However, he died, so immortality isn't a good way of judging whether or not someone is a hoarder.

Just wondering, what's considered "hoarding" ;)
When the above-mentioned hoarder died, his hoard had to go somewhere, where somewhere could have been the local dump. The following photograph doesn't even show all the BSA fuel tanks and wheels, let alone engine cases, crankshafts, engine and gearbox internals, mudguards, oil tanks, .... and enough other hoarded BSA parts to cover 60 sq.ft. of shelf space in my garage.

Horde_BSA.jpg

OK, no matter how "hoarder" is defined, I'm afraid I fit the description. Although, in my defense, I came by this hoard accidentally. But, what would you have me do about it? I don't know what models most of the tanks and wheels fit, so to list any of them on eBay would require me to spend time to research each part, then time to prepare a listing, and answer questions. Then, if it sold, spend the time to pack it in a way to minimize the chance of damage in transit, then stand in line to ship it.

I don't "need" the money any of these sales would bring, so all my time and effort would be spent to benefit other people. No matter how selfless my self-image is, I'm not selfless enough spend the time that would be required to spread these rusty old BSA parts to the world rather than spend that time doing the many things I want to do. So, a hoarder I shall remain.

Most people reading this probably don't care about BSA hoards, they want to get their hands on someone else's Vincent hoard (nb. it's a "hoard" in someone else's garage, but "essential spares" if it were in theirs). The problem is, the Vincent hoarder faces much the same problem disposing of it as I do with my BSA hoard.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Never hurts to check. I have been known to #@** the bed from time to time.

I used the bottom inch or so of a bean can, made a temporary bracket to (which was also used to lay out the bolt pattern) hold the scoop and then put the bracket/ scoop over the can. Then filled the can with molten Cerrobend. IIRC the scoop had a layer of cellophane wrapped tightly around it to act as a release agent. After a whole bunch of farting around, I had a solid base to hold the scoops in the mill. Sounds like a bit of a gong show, but it worked.

correction… it was tinfoil and it looks more like a coffee can. Scoop was filled with playdough to keep the Cerrobend out.

D6E64A04-04C6-4548-94A9-F4533CE5F5BD.jpeg

Last edited:

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Not sure if you could call it hoarding but I do own 15 Vincent model kits
Assembled? If still in their boxes, it's hoarding. I have but one; still sleeping in its box.

As soon as I finish the huge new garage, bring the 1950 Chevy truck into it to get it back on the road, recommission the Kawasaki outfit, the Rokon Trailblazer, the 50cc Zundapp, the R27, the final touches on the 3910 New Holland and just a very few other things (having trouble remembering), I'll get to the model kit. Hell, I'm not even 81 yet. Time's on my side. Besides, the R100RS doesn't need work!

vibrac

VOC Member
Call that a work load?
I have a Difazio BMW to finish, a Comet to build from boxes, a 650 triumph to build into a long distance trials outfit, A 1935 Velo that has a leaky float. a K100 that needs a new speedometer,A Grey Flash that needs some Albion gearbox ratio alterations, a 1952 Triumph Trophy that needs the dynamo fixing, a Norman B3 (clone of my first motorcycle) that needs possibly new crank seals, a 1926 Douglas EW to be rebuilt, A Comet to run in, A 1948 Douglas T35/90plus that is very recalcitrant to run and a 998 twin racer that I am spiritual adviser to ... Thanks be that the Beta Alp, the 1925 Douglas and GS are running fine, No wonder I sold three bikes in the last 12 months