Hints on riding in the UK

Mike 40M

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Since many of you are used to riding in the UK, I'd like to get some hints on how to ride safely. I'm on my way to the TT and will hopefully be in the UK tomorrow. I have only been driving cars in Scotland and Australia in recent years. So I think I'll manage riding on the proper side of the road.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
i beleive on the mainland we have a obigation to give trafic coming from right hand side at junction, right of way priority.
in the UK its more like the one comes first, goes first. but if its true....

other than that, keep your eys open, and always think, (know) THEY DONT SEE YOU, so leave throttle, when you see a car.....

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Since many of you are used to riding in the UK, I'd like to get some hints on how to ride safely. I'm on my way to the TT and will hopefully be in the UK tomorrow. I have only been driving cars in Scotland and Australia in recent years. So I think I'll manage riding on the proper side of the road.
Some simple but maybe obvious things that spring to mind:
  1. Petrol. There are not so many roadside garages as there used to be if you are not on main roads. Most larger supermarkets have a filling station. The fuel is usually cheaper there but often only have Regular or Premium grade petrol, no Super if that is what you need.
  2. Speed. There seem to be more speed cameras springing up all over the country. Lots of roads have average speed cameras especially if there are roadworks, often on motorways.
  3. Roadworks. If you can access the internet it is worth checking beforehand for roadworks and delays especially if you are on a deadline to catch a ferry. Allow yourself a little extra journey time. Better to be early and have to wait rather than be late and miss a boat.
  4. Roads. Look out for potholes. The road surfaces on some minor roads is poor. Many holes are marked for repair with yellow paint but after that nothing happens.
  5. Speed Bumps. In towns there are often speed bumps. Avoid following too close behind other vehicles so that you can see the speed bumps coming.
  6. Weather. We have had some really nice weather but if we get much rain try to avoid motorways. They are usually busy and if you are on a motorcycle with the spray from other vehicles you sometimes think you are riding under water!
There are probably lots of other things that might be suggested. Have a good time in the Isle of Man. Don't try to break any lap records, the walls are hard and unforgiving. ;)

A_HRD

VOC Member
What BigEd said - plus - On roundabouts, ALWAYS give way to traffic on the roundabout coming from your right. Unless of course the roundabout is traffic-light controlled.
Peter B

vibrac

VOC Member
No left turn on red .booooo
You can filter in traffic horray!
You often can't pay at the pump. And it's rare to be served ( I think horray but I can't think why)
Speed cameras are marked but some police cars are not ( ray boo?)
Do try the roundabout in Hemel Hempstead if you get a chance it's the only sensible one in the UK as far as I know.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I like 2 mirrors, They will come past inside or outside.
leave lots of room in front, + a bit more !.
Avoid riding at night, Deer, + other things, Run into the road.
If you see a Lorry, Keep away, They have a law of there own, And they drop Diesel On rounabouts and other places.
Have FUN, Wish it was me. Cheers Bill.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
No left turn on red .booooo
You can filter in traffic horray!
You often can't pay at the pump. And it's rare to be served ( I think horray but I can't think why)
Speed cameras are marked but some police cars are not ( ray boo?)
Do try the roundabout in Hemel Hempstead if you get a chance it's the only sensible one in the UK as far as I know.

There is one in Swindon too.

b'knighted

VOC Member
It is a good idea to look over your right shoulder before committing yourself to any manoeuvre, especially one that involves moving to the right. Just occasionally you may see something that makes you change your mind. These checks used to be part of driving tests and were referred to as lifesavers.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I would add, twin rear view mirrors, flashing indicators, rather than hand signals and, if your charging system will stand it, ride with your headlight on. This is to prevent being SMIDSY`d (Sorry Mate I Did Not See You). The fact that some of theses people have been taught to walk upright and not drag their knuckles on the floor does not mean that they should be driving cars.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Thanks for your hints. So far I’ve found british motorists beeing nice. Only problem I have is that when I’m in a roundabout, I feel a bit worried going before other traffic. Did a lap on the Mountain Course yesterday. Up on the mountain sometimes exceeded 30MPH. Way to much when I could see 30 meters in the fog.