Misc: Stands Hills Stand

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The travel stop on my Hills stand is getting mushroomed out and the stand isn't raising the rear wheel off the ground. I plan to get some weld added and then file/grind it back to where it needs to be. This will likely recur, though; any suggestions or similar experiences?

Travel Stop 3 5 2021.jpg

G

Graham Smith

When I got a Dave Hills stainless stand for my Comet, I got impatient and removed too much material in one go from the travel stop, which resulted in the bike going too far back and the rear wheel touched the ground.

Luckily, Andrew Everett was able to weld stainless and very kindly added some more material back onto the stop.

When I did it the next time, I was careful to only remove a tiny bit at a time. Removing just 1mm from the stop makes an enormous change in the position of the bike when on the stand.

oexing

VOC Member
You should better add another stop at the other half of the main stand and make stops half an inch longer. That will reduce load on stops a lot and offers a more rigid stand, no twisting action from just one stop. Get stainless welded on stops, more durable and no rust forming, also higher strength material than mild steel.

Vic

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
possible a Stellite over lay might be best, but you would want both surfaces done........then you need to be aware of how best to grind to fit . A local welder should be able to do this and know how to grind dimensions. Easy for me to suggest, never having done this outside of an industrial setting. It is a common industrial plant need. P&G, Rubbermaid, and such but i think a local welding shop could provide.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Yes, As Vic says, also modifying from a "knife to plate" to a "plate to plate" would be also a better match.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Dave makes the stands to fit a particulat wheel size /series of bike they are not necessarily interchangeable
Before fitting I drilled and tapped two holes in the bottom of the feet on my 18" wheel Comet so I can fit adjuster bolts and nuts to raise it should I want to fit standard wheels or put it on another of my steeds

bmetcalf

VOC Member
When I got a Dave Hills stainless stand for my Comet, I got impatient and removed too much material in one go from the travel stop, which resulted in the bike going too far back and the rear wheel touched the ground.

Luckily, Andrew Everett was able to weld stainless and very kindly added some more material back onto the stop.

When I did it the next time, I was careful to only remove a tiny bit at a time. Removing just 1mm from the stop makes an enormous change in the position of the bike when on the stand.
I got a bit of harder weld put on and filed it a bit and it it is just right now.