Herringbone Hose

The VOC Spares Company Limited

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
We have found out why ‘Herringbone’ hose has become difficult to obtain, the only man able to operate the antiquated machinery to make it has retired.

Whilst we are hopeful it may become available again we only have ‘smooth’ hose available for now. We have added A52 hose in 100% ethanol proof to the current range of 15% proof hose.

See Webshop for details.

Attachments

• A52-A65.jpg
    A52-A65.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Has anybody any actual proof that Vincent's used herringbone pipe, and if so was it all the time? I believe the series A rubber pipe was smooth. Would they have used a specific herringbone type pipe on series B, C & D all the time or just used whatever was available?

stevee

VOC Member
The Chantland Shadow has herring bone hose (thanks Davidd for the photo)
Steve

Attachments

• Chantland.jpg
    Chantland.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 123

Mr. Boring

VOC Member
I had a stash of ferrules that were silver cad plated I use to pick up at welding supply houses that I used for fuel lines for Goldies and the sort. Most of the ones I've seen now are brass with no plating. The crimpers are a adjustable visegrip style and did a fine job. I'm sure a lot of you knew this already this though. Forgive me I'm just airing out the keyboard.

A_HRD

VOC Member
...and the ferrules are crimped.
Despite the amazingly standard Chantland Shadow, I don't believe the ferrules were ever routinely crimped. Certainly none of mine ever had them crimped at the point of purchase or subsequently. Moreover, after 50 years of messing with Vincents I have never had an oil-leak or petrol-leak at a ferrule....

Peter B

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
I believe most of the hoses on my 1948 Rapide are original, and they are NOT Herringbone patterned. They are rough, with the appearance and coarseness of regular woven cloth, e.g. bed sheet or something. Perhaps they were wrapped with cloth when placed into molds for heating when being made? The larger return hose is Herringbone, but it has no ferrule (or clamp), and I think it is a replacement. I have had the bike since 1974; when I got it, its most recent usage had been flat track racing, although it had been sitting (resting?) for awhile. I need to check the ferrules to see if they were crimped or not.