Herring bone oil / fuel pipe.

Mark Fraser

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone have a contact for Herring bone pipe? I've tried the Vinney suppliers and then the velo suppliers. Only success I've had was 3/8" from Grove Classic's. 1/4" & 5/16" are out of stock.

Quite happy to buy a plain black pipe. Anyone recommend a place to buy this from?

tonythecat

Non-VOC Member
Hi Mark,
"Herring Bone Pipe", do you mean stainless braided pipe? if so best supplier I have found is Auto Hose, 9 Bagnall Road, Milton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs. ST2 7AY. tel 01782 542486. mobile 07931 728956. They do not appear to have a web-site. They do most of the shows "up north" and are great guys to deal with.

Tony

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Fuel/Oil pipe suppliers

Hi Mark,

Try Vehicle Wiring Products, and Frost Restoration for the fabric overbraided hose. It's not exactly as per the original, but close enough.

Neil

timetraveller

VOC Member
If anyone out there knows of a stainless steel braided pipe that will fit our original oil feed pipes then I would be very happy to know the source. I fit this type of pipe to the car alternator kits we supply for 'B' and 'C' twins. (It is not needed on 'D' and Comet kits.) I can only source 13 mm internal and 10 mm internal. The latter is too tight but can just be used and the former is too loose and would require a jubilee clip or similar. To get round this I have just provided two kits with s/s braided pipe all the way down to the 1/4" BSP banjo on the engine with both upper and lower ends hydraulically swaged on. The look of this might not be to everyones taste. Incidentally we have found three different sizes of tube on the main oil feed pipes. I guess they were all nominally 3/8" but it seems different wall thickness or quality control problems occurred.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
S/Steel braided hose

Hi Norm,

From my drag racing days try www.speedflow.co.uk they offer the US spec range of Earls and Aeroquip braided hoses including an adapter that goes from rigid pipe to the braided hose.

Best of luck

Neil

PS
You want #8 for the feed to the pump, and #6 for the return

Last edited:
B

Bikersally

Herring Bone pipe.

Does anyone have a contact for Herring bone pipe? I've tried the Vinney suppliers and then the velo suppliers. Only success I've had was 3/8" from Grove Classic's. 1/4" & 5/16" are out of stock.

Quite happy to buy a plain black pipe. Anyone recommend a place to buy this from?

Mark,
If your stuck I have plenty to do a twin with some spare. 1/4" / 5/16" & 3/8". Give me a phone on 07931 723860 - Xmas eve onwards.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
My experience of the flexible hose & fittings industry may be of some use here. Up until 5 years ago the family company that dealt with most types of hose & fittings was amongst my duties. The type of flexible rubber hose referred to as "herring bone" , more correctly known as chevron pattern , is now I'm pretty much certain , no longer produced by the original manufacturer , Dunlop Automotive Division. I have some in my personal stock , but I would have to check which sizes. Stainless steel braided hose is made in many varying specs and all are by no means equal !! The type supplied by Earls , who I am still a supplier of , is in the upper leagues for quality. Be aware though , that there is alot of utter rubbish being supplied as stainless steel braided hose. The sizing of the correct Aero spec hose as supplied by Earls etc , uses the dash sizing standard and is not directly compatible with tube sizes as it is intended to used with screw AN type aluminium reusable fittings. The cheaper type stuff is just an extruded rubber tube with simple single stainless braid over the top , typically only available in metric sizes so will not be an exact fit on imperial size tube. Also , the integrity of this stuff is completely determined by the quality of the inner extruded tube which is impossible to determine by visual examination. All I can say is that I know of only 2 sources that I would trust. The genuine Aero spec stuff is a much more sophisticated construction in which the rubber compound has to be compliant with the correct and very high standard.
I don't have my catalogues to hand but I think I can get 3/8" I.D. Aero spec stuff , will check and post later.

B

Bikersally

Clive Repik for s/s braided hose.

My experience of the flexible hose & fittings industry may be of some use here. Up until 5 years ago the family company that dealt with most types of hose & fittings was amongst my duties. The type of flexible rubber hose referred to as "herring bone" , more correctly known as chevron pattern , is now I'm pretty much certain , no longer produced by the original manufacturer , Dunlop Automotive Division. I have some in my personal stock , but I would have to check which sizes. Stainless steel braided hose is made in many varying specs and all are by no means equal !! The type supplied by Earls , who I am still a supplier of , is in the upper leagues for quality. Be aware though , that there is alot of utter rubbish being supplied as stainless steel braided hose. The sizing of the correct Aero spec hose as supplied by Earls etc , uses the dash sizing standard and is not directly compatible with tube sizes as it is intended to used with screw AN type aluminium reusable fittings. The cheaper type stuff is just an extruded rubber tube with simple single stainless braid over the top , typically only available in metric sizes so will not be an exact fit on imperial size tube. Also , the integrity of this stuff is completely determined by the quality of the inner extruded tube which is impossible to determine by visual examination. All I can say is that I know of only 2 sources that I would trust. The genuine Aero spec stuff is a much more sophisticated construction in which the rubber compound has to be compliant with the correct and very high standard.
I don't have my catalogues to hand but I think I can get 3/8" I.D. Aero spec stuff , will check and post later.

Interesting information. I am concentrating on putting my Venom on the road at the moment and I contacted a company called 'Autohose' as I had decided on s/s braided hoses for fuel / oil feed and oil return. The 3/8" s/s braided is around £9/metre. I thought this was very cheap. A good friend of mine has a Venom Thruxton which has had some work done by Clive Repik. This bike has s/s braided hoses which appear to be a high quality. I've contacted him and he says he uses a high quality hose that is supplied to the aviation industry. Based on £55 for a set,this is where I'm going to buy them from.