HELP WITH ORIGINAL REGISTRATION NUMBER PLEASE!

Steve Morris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Bill, I see your point and will wait for Simon.

In the meanwhile, i have done a little 'digging around'.

I have in the file for the bike, the transfer document from the DOT.

In the document is the name of the lady it was transferred to (the letters made up her name). The address is also there, so i looked it up along with the phone number, to no avail (it was done in 1983!).

So, i googled her full name, and it appears she was quite a well known lady, a very glamourous lady working in the publishing industry, but she was sadly killed in a cycling incident in London in 2006 aged 42. So, born in 1964, she would have been 19 at the time of transfer, being a well educated lady, working in London, it is entirely feasible as she was driving an MG (the original reg No of my bike was transferred to an MG).

After reading her obituary, there was mention of her partner, a chap with a double barrelled name, who has his own antiques company in Cornwall. The obituary also mentioned that the lady in question had bought a house in Cornwall with this chap, which is the address she put on the transfer form, to co-incidental for me?

So, I have sent a message to this chap and am awaiting reply.

I will of course keep you all updated,

Regards,

Maigrait.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I said county record archives not local DVLA office
I was pointing out that to actually get a registration of any kind you have to go through Swansea. I got an age related number for my Rapide by going to the registration office in Birmingham where I was able to sit with a helpful person who actually helped me fill in all the forms. Face to face is often the best way to do business.:cool: The information I got from the VOC was key to getting a registration.

Dinny

VOC Member
Simon will be on here soon as I know he doesn’t currently have internet access. If it’s possible he is the one who can get you on the correct path.

Mark

nkt267

VOC Member
I got the number back on my Comet without a log book..I had an old tax disc and contacted Kent County archives and they sent me a copy of the registration page. The club then handled the case and the original number was supplied but it is NOT transferable..I was not bothered about that as all I wanted was the bikes birth name. John

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes it's me you need to talk to. Does the green logbook clearly show the registration and the frame number as exactly stamped on the ufm headstock?
Email a scan of the logbook to me. Do not post it here.
Do not contact the DVLA without contacting me first as they could go off at 90 degrees.
Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
As @Bill Thomas said - Simon's your man, but from what I understand of it, you're going to need a bit of 'official' documentation that ties that registration number with your actual bike.

I know a 'buff' type log book is acceptable, but I don't know about say a tax disc.

Maybe the Works Records are acceptable if the registration number is recorded on them, but in many cases, the registration number wasn't known when the bike was dispatched.

Please feel free to tell me that's all rubbish Simon! (It probably is!)
The bit about proof is correct. The DVLA require proof that the reg is connected to the frame number as stamped on the bike. A certified copy of the council records (if they have not destroyed them) or an old logbook is the best. The factory records on their own will not do it as the factory did not register the bikes. That was done after the factory by the dealers.
Tax discs are a definate no as they only record the reg.
Simon

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Yes it's me you need to talk to. Does the green logbook clearly show the registration and the frame number as exactly stamped on the ufm headstock?
Email a scan of the logbook to me. Do not post it here.
Do not contact the DVLA without contacting me first as they could go off at 90 degrees.
Simon

Hi Simon,

I have emailed you the green log book as requested.

Thanks for your help,

Steve.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Steve
Ive just got back from 10 days in USA to find 90+ emails and several phone messages so it may take a day or two to get sorted.
Simon

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Hi Simon,

Hope you had a good trip, I to have just come back from 2 weeks in the middle east, no rush at al!

Best regards,

Steve.