HELP WITH ORIGINAL REGISTRATION NUMBER PLEASE!

Steve Morris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am going to 'attempt' to get the original registration number back on my Comet. The number is not recognised on the DVLA website (when i typed it into vehicle search it says 'no records found' which could indicate the number has dropped off the database or it isn't registered to anything??

I have the green logbook which states the original reg number, although the previous owner did try to get the original number back on the bike some 13 years ago without success, but that was a while ago and things may have changed since then.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Many thanks,

Steve.

vibrac

VOC Member
where was it registered originally?
on two machines a Douglas and a Triumph I struck lucky (Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire) in both cases a visit to their respective county archives revealed the original record, 80p got me a photo stat .
No personal number grave robber had been there (whats that all about?) so I got the original number
Of course if it was issued one of those wonderful councils who bleat on about 'our history' and 'our heritage', but destroyed all the vehicle records you may be out of luck however there are certain organisation on the web who have rescued some records

Steve Morris

VOC Member
It was originally registered in Leicestershire in March 1950 (see picture).

Surely if i have the green logbook and it can be proved by the VOC it was registered with that number I don't need to go to the local registration office to prove it?
Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 12.02.02.png

vibrac

VOC Member
Original (at the time of registration 1950) log books were brown I think continuation books came in around 1960 (memory only) I will check on leicestershires attachment to historic documents
I emphasize original because thats what the DVLA says see
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/old-vehicles
Simon will be in touch soon

Last edited:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
It was originally registered in Leicestershire in March 1950 (see picture).

Surely if i have the green logbook and it can be proved by the VOC it was registered with that number I don't need to go to the local registration office to prove it?View attachment 21320
There is no local registration office. They were all closed over the last 2 -3 years. Everything is through DVLA Swansea.

G

Graham Smith

As @Bill Thomas said - Simon's your man, but from what I understand of it, you're going to need a bit of 'official' documentation that ties that registration number with your actual bike.

I know a 'buff' type log book is acceptable, but I don't know about say a tax disc.

Maybe the Works Records are acceptable if the registration number is recorded on them, but in many cases, the registration number wasn't known when the bike was dispatched.

Please feel free to tell me that's all rubbish Simon! (It probably is!)

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Thanks all.

I have the 'buff' type logbook which clearly states the reg number of the bike. I will await Simons reply but may contact DVLA in the meantime!