help with info for a book please?

broski

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
What a marvellous story A-BCD! So well written and entertaining too- maybe I have competition :rolleyes:.

if you have never tackled Porlock Hill on a motorcycle you have never lived eh?? Brilliant tale though- loved it thanks.

A-BCD

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Brian,

We can see what your Dad paid at the end of 1950 but can you tell us what he got for it as a trade in on the C a couple of years later. Was the C bought new or second hand?

The C Rapide LBJ 324 was a 1951, so was also second-hand when dad bought it. No idea what he paid, but interestingly mum say that my elder sister Maureen and I both cried when he came home with new machine because we wanted the Series B HRD back !! So I exhibited good judgement even then !! Dad used to ride to work solo during the week, and Saturday morning he would reverse the rear wheel and insert a short length of chain he kept in the tool tray, and fit the chair for the weekend. I remember dad hammering across Bodmin Moor with his home-built double-adult sidecar hitched to the Rapide, me and sis inside and mum on pillion. I stood with my head in the slipstream, wearing a pair of dad's old goggles. The speedo read 93 mph !! He kept that bike until about 1960, I believe he got £45 trade-in against an Ariel Leader at Deeprose in Catford. If anyone knows the whereabouts of LBJ 324, please let me know !! Tried a 'where are you now' search in MPH a few years ago but no luck. The Series B is now powering a Norvin in Victoria.
F10AB-1-204.jpg

LBJ324.gif

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
if you have never tackled Porlock Hill on a motorcycle you have never lived eh?? .

If you do the Lands End Trial you go up it every year in the middle of the night and then at the top you take to the dirt and climb beggars roost. first time I did it (196?) I looked up and thought ah the weather must be clearing I can see stars but I soon found out it was locals with torches all the way up the track waiting to see us fall off...
http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/events/landsend.htm